Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-ish: Georgia Mountain Egg Fest and the AT

Options
Driving down from Chicago for the Eggfest and since the Appalachian Trail goes right by Hiawassee, its a perfect opportunity to fit in a section hike. Thinking about doing either leisurely 4 day 45 mile hike south to Neel's Gap, or step on the gas and head north for a 6 day hike to Fontana Dam (88 miles).

Anyone want to go for a walk?
Pentwater, MI

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I'd LOVE to but out of town then.  Neel's Gap is a pretty section of trail.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    It would be too hard to carry the Egg.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • ShadowNick
    Options

It would be too hard to carry the Egg.

I knew that was coming. :)
    Pentwater, MI
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Neel's Gap is nice. Make sure to check out Walasi-Yi Outfitters near Blairsville. It's an old Civilian Conservation Corps building from the 1930's and is notable for being the only man made structure that covers the AT. The hike up to Fontana Dam is nice, but stopping there means you stop just before the great Smoky Mountains, which is an amazing section to hike. Plus, there is a lot of elevation change in that 88 miles and it might take you a few more days than you expect. That being said, both directions are beautiful and you will see plenty of wild flowers in bloom, especially May.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I usually just walk to the egg or the fridge.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    Mayberry said:

Neel's Gap is nice. Make sure to check out Walasi-Yi Outfitters near Blairsville. It's an old Civilian Conservation Corps building from the 1930's and is notable for being the only man made structure that covers the AT. The hike up to Fontana Dam is nice, but stopping there means you stop just before the great Smoky Mountains, which is an amazing section to hike. Plus, there is a lot of elevation change in that 88 miles and it might take you a few more days than you expect.
    That being said, both directions are beautiful and you will see plenty of wild flowers in bloom, especially May.

Would you say the elevation changes are worse in NC than GA? I've hiked
    Amicalola falls to Neel's Gap in 3 days about 2 years ago, that wasn't bad, but I haven't studied elevation profiles for NC yet. Maybe I should scale back and plan to just reach the NOC?
    Pentwater, MI
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    I'm lucky to make it down to the mall of GA. 
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Mayberry
    Options
    I'd say hike to Neel's Gap and maybe save the time to head up to TN and just hike the Great Smoky Mountain section. The wet soil, raging creeks/rivers and slick rock formations are all very unique and worth seeing. Truth be told, the elevation changes in GSM Nat'l Park are probably as bad as anything you'll see on the trail. There are just as steep elevation changes in Georgia, but the number of ups and downs in the section north of Neels Gap to Smoky Mtns National Park can be grueling. It's up a mountain, down a mountain, repeat over and over....the whole way. I'm particularly fond of the Smokies, if you can't tell. It's just a great grouping of mountains and rivers and a very underrated National Park.
    Athens, GA
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    henapple said:
    I usually just walk to the egg or the fridge.

In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    We did a 7 mile trail at black rock mountain that went down the mountain then up another then down that and up another then down and back up to the start. We started at 3500' or so and went down to around 1000' and repeat. Im in decent shape and I would say about 10 miles is the most I would want to do in a day with those up and downs.
  • Mayberry
    Options
    Some sections, you can hit 20 miles a day. But, there are quite a few stretches where you'll hike well into dark and only get 8-10 miles in. Up to the Shenandoah Valley, there is some serious elevation change along the trail. From there north, it levels out quite a bit.
    Athens, GA
  • Primeggister1
    Options
    That hike sounds awesome.  Please stop by my booth at the fest and let me know how it went.  My wife and I would love to try it one day.  

Marc