Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza setup

Options
Searching the forum seems like I've found ps legs down then a spacer and then the stone. I've been going ps down then raised 5" and ps. What's your method?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options

PS Legs up, grid, short raised grid, maybe 4" then stone. Might change now with the new swing rack.

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    First off many do not use the ps. If cooking with a fire under 500 I just cook on top of the stone on top of the AR no bottom stone ( learned from Tom ). If hot say 600 I have a stone at the bottom or mid area of AR and a stone to cook on the very top of the AR. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    +1 with @mickey.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Setter legs up, grid on setter legs then spacers to raise the stone an inch or two above the felt line. Lately for my MBGE I've used a Grill Dome grid extender, it sits on the fire ring and is about 1" above the felt line.  
    No pizza pics but this is the grill dome used for a reverse sear. It holds the pizza stone above the felt line and as it has three legs it straddles the setter. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2014
    Options
    For the Grandkids the ovals work real good. Hope they tasted better than looked. They made and ate. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Back when I did pies on the egg, I used a platesetter with all this stuff on top. Since I have discovered that pizza is as good or better in my oven, I don't mess with the egg.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    This is the setup I use.  AR with pizza stone on top of it.  Gets it pretty well up in the dome.
    imageimage
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• AlbertaEgger
    Options
    Back when I did pies on the egg, I used a platesetter with all this stuff on top. Since I have discovered that pizza is as good or better in my oven, I don't mess with the egg.

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    I put the extender on the A/R with stone on the very bottom and stone on the very top. Works pretty well for me.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Carolina Q
    Options
    LOL, dead serious.:)

All but one of these was done in my oven. And all were delicious! Even the egged one.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have a rack that goes into the warming drawer of my oven.  I think the point of the rack is to set plates on to warm.  So, coincidentally, it is also a "plate setter".  It happens to fit nicely on the large and a stone can sit on top of it, so it gives me a bit of a lift.  

So, I go with BGE plate setter legs up+regular grid+2.5 "plate setter rack"+pizza stone.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    LOL, dead serious.:)

All but one of these was done in my oven. And all were delicious! Even the egged one.

Nice looking pies.  What temp do you cook them at and what kind of flour do you use?

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks, Cazzy. Depends on the pie. Chicago deep dish, AP at 450°. The NY pie on the egg uses bread flour at 500°, even in the oven :). The pan pizza in the CI, bread, 550° and the other three use Caputo 00 at 725°. Yes, my oven goes to 725°. It's pretty old and I'm gonna be bummed when it finally dies and I have to go back to the egg for that temp!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• AlbertaEgger
    Options
    Thanks, Cazzy. Depends on the pie. Chicago deep dish, AP at 450°. The NY pie on the egg uses bread flour at 500°, even in the oven :). The pan pizza in the CI, bread, 550° and the other three use Caputo 00 at 725°. Yes, my oven goes to 725°. It's pretty old and I'm gonna be bummed when it finally dies and I have to go back to the egg for that temp!

"I'm gonna be bummed when it finally dies and I have to go back to the egg for that temp! "

HUH.jpg 32.3K
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    (i have to admit, they do look like some pretty damn good pizza's C Q)
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    (i have to admit, they do look like some pretty damn good pizza's C Q)
    Thanks. They really are just as good. And sooo much easier. The deep dish was to die for!!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    In the summer, if I set my oven to 725, if it ever got to that temp my kitchen would be about 105. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• shadowcaster
    Options

Sinner!!!
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • henapple
    Options
    Went ps legs up, 5 inch raised then the stone. Family loved it so I'm happy.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    henapple said:

Looks great @henapple! What did you use tou raise the stone?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options

Agree my oven pizzas have been blowing away my egg ones. Last 10+ all oven.
    Seattle, WA
  • henapple
    Options
    DMW said:

henapple said:

Looks great @henapple! What did you use tou raise the stone?

I have a homemade raised grid made with bolts and washers.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks great man. There is nothing better than a satisfied family!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I use PS legs down with 1/2" plumbing tees as a spacer then stone on top. Works for me. I turn the pies 1/4 turn every couple of minutes.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I do like @Skiddymarker. PS legs up, grate, 4" spacer then stone. Tried once without PS and the stone got too hot. Bottom overdone, top not quite done. 450 - 500 deg max for my dough. Parchment paper under all my pies
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • cdthomas23
    Options
    Just curious...what does the lift give you rather than just setting the pizza stone directly on the plate setter?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @cdthomas23 - raised gets the pie closer to the dome, reflected heat cooks from the top - like a broiler. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I'm with Carolina Q. I did a side-by-side test once, and no one in the family could guess which was made on a 550 egg and which in a 550 oven, both preheated with stones for 45 minutes. With many folks, the egg is their first experience of making pizza at home, and that wins them over. I suggest trying the oven, at least during the winter, if you're going to cook at 450-550.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia