Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Bourbon by Value

Comments

• Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    I have been a Wellers drinker for years.  Tried a couple of bottles of Southshot recently based on an elderly man's recommendation at the liquor store.  Under $10.00 per bottle.  Not bad.  Also tried Two Stars and it was very tasty.

I do have a Pappy 23 waiting to be drank when I get my first hole-in-one or 10 lb. bass!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Rocks I like Woodford
    Mixed I like JD
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Do you folks mostly drink it with something, or straight?  I just take it neat.  
    Only way to drink any fine spirit. When I hear of someone diluting Pappy's with ice I cringe - to each his own, but oh the humanity....

Well I wouldn't know since I've really just started getting into scotch, bourbon, and whiskey myself. I've read a few things where some folks say you should actually add a bit of regular water (room temp) to a dram of scotch to help bring out all the flavors. To each his own I say.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • For under 40, Knob Creek Single Barrel.  It's 120 proof but very smooth.  It took gold at the international wine and spirits competition and was my first introduction to "top shelf" bourbon.
    Justin in Denton, TX

• Do you folks mostly drink it with something, or straight?  I just take it neat.  
    Only way to drink any fine spirit. When I hear of someone diluting Pappy's with ice I cringe - to each his own, but oh the humanity....

Well I wouldn't know since I've really just started getting into scotch, bourbon, and whiskey myself. I've read a few things where some folks say you should actually add a bit of regular water (room temp) to a dram of scotch to help bring out all the flavors. To each his own I say.
    Use just enough water to get the alcohol content down to around 38%.  Never use ice.  This is according to Richard Patterson, Master Blender for Whyte and Machay.  It cuts the alcohol enough so that the alcohol doesn't overpower the nuances.  That being said, even he will tell you not to do this with a really good bottle, such as a 21 year.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • Some nice suggestions already!  If I may go a bit OT, someone mentioned Breaking and Entering Bourbon which is blended by a great distiller named Lance Winters from St. Georges Spirits in California.  As mentioned, they do not make they bourbon but went and tasted at a number of the bourbon houses and purchased barrels that they liked and then blended themselves.  Easy drinking and a good bourbon.  As much as I like B&E bourbon, in my opinion, their gins (3 distinctly different flavor profiles), single malt scotch and their absinthe is where they truly standout.

Also, it's not a bourbon but if you get a chance treat yourself to a bottle of WhistlePig.  It is a rye whiskey and it is pretty stellar.

• Old Crow or Rebel Yell!  ;)

I would have to say Buffalo Trace is not a bad buy at all.
    Makers 46 is very easy to sip
    I also like Woodford Reserve
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • Some nice suggestions already!  If I may go a bit OT, someone mentioned Breaking and Entering Bourbon which is blended by a great distiller named Lance Winters from St. Georges Spirits in California.  As mentioned, they do not make they bourbon but went and tasted at a number of the bourbon houses and purchased barrels that they liked and then blended themselves.  Easy drinking and a good bourbon.  As much as I like B&E bourbon, in my opinion, their gins (3 distinctly different flavor profiles), single malt scotch and their absinthe is where they truly standout.

Also, it's not a bourbon but if you get a chance treat yourself to a bottle of WhistlePig.  It is a rye whiskey and it is pretty stellar.

We went to St. George's once. SWMBO loves B&E and is her favorite bourbon.  I am not as big of a fan and get a lot of banana notes? (maybe wheat content? idk)  I agree that their gins and absinthe are among best I have had.

Might save up for whistle pig one day!

• A_Smalltown_Egg
    A_Smalltown_Egg Posts: 33
    edited January 2014

Some nice suggestions already!  If I may go a bit OT, someone mentioned Breaking and Entering Bourbon which is blended by a great distiller named Lance Winters from St. Georges Spirits in California.  As mentioned, they do not make they bourbon but went and tasted at a number of the bourbon houses and purchased barrels that they liked and then blended themselves.  Easy drinking and a good bourbon.  As much as I like B&E bourbon, in my opinion, their gins (3 distinctly different flavor profiles), single malt scotch and their absinthe is where they truly standout.

We went to St. George's once. SWMBO loves B&E and is her favorite bourbon.  I am not as big of a fan and get a lot of banana notes? (maybe wheat content? idk)  I agree that their gins and absinthe are among best I have had.

Might save up for whistle pig one day!

I agree 100% about banana notes and while I enjoy it I can see how it wouldn't be some bourbon traditionalists favorite.  When they came out with 3 gins at one time a lot of people thought that they were nuts but they are so different that they make sense.  Terroir gin is more the traditional sprucey like gin, Botanivore a softer more eligant gin and the Rye is spicy.  I heard Lance say once that he made Botanivore because he liked gin and wanted to make a gin that his wife would drink with him.  Personally I am not a big Absinthe guy (don't care for that licorice flavor) but their's is a little softer than others I have tried and doesn't even need to have sugar cut in, just a little bit of water.

If you get a chance to try WhistlePig I think you would be very pleased with it (if you like Rye).

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    I buy a big bottle of Knob Creek about every 6 weeks as a reward for - being me. I've never been a fan of drinking whiskey or bourbon straight, with ice, or with water. I'm a "Beam 'n' Coke" kind of guy. I could care less about anyone's opinion that good bourbon should only be drank straight. The money comes out of MY wallet.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Been trying to locate Pappys Bourbon...it's impossible. I'm in the SW Michigan area.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Pappys comes out once a year now. I got a bottle in November of the 12 year old.
  • Lit said:
    Pappys comes out once a year now. I got a bottle in November of the 12 year old.

How is it...I have my order in for the exact bottle
  • Old Weller Antique 107 is about $25.  Otherwise, I'm a big fan of Four Roses Single Barrel for about $45.
    Large BGE
    Lexington, SC
  • Lit
    @browninggold its really good. I am not as into whiskey as others here and alot of times any bottle over $40 I can't tell a huge difference from one to the other until you get really top shelf but the Pappy has very good flavor and even gets better with the after taste in my opinion. The place I got it does first come first serve but you can only get 1 bottle so I told my wife she is taking the day off next year and we are getting there before sun up. I want 2 bottles of the 23 yr.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    edited January 2014

@Lit- I don't know where you are located but this past December my local store held a raffle and if your ticket was drawn you got to buy one bottle from a selection of high-end hard to find bourbons including the Van Winkles. The Pappy 23 year old (three bottles available) we priced at $400 each.  This included a mark-up of $100 that was to be donated to a charity in the buyers name to cut down on the after-market profit potential.

Bring your bank account if you are lucky enough to score one. 

And back to the topic at hand, I find Bulleit to be a good entrance level bourbon.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Lit
    @lousubcap the total wine in Alpharetta Georgia had probably 75 bottles that were first come first serve with no markup. I didn't see what the 23 or 20 years cost but the guys just in front of me got the last 15 year and it was $85. They only had 2 bottles of the 23yr. I got there before the store opened and there were 40 or so people in front of me and the bottles were gone in 15 minutes. I called every day in the month of November until they finally said they will be here Friday and they were there.
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    I paid 185 for the 20 year old bottle of Pappy....man it was good, but really most 30.00+ brands are close enough.  But yeah, if you can get a bottle go for it.

FWIW:  My buddy owns a liquor store and that was a dear friend price.
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    The Pappy I had was pretty incredible.  Had a caramel flavor and consistency to me--far more honeyed than any other whiskey I can recall trying.  Wish I could find another bottle, but it seems near impossible.
    Southern California
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Evan is good for the money.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Lit
    @beteez nice tip on larceny. Just picked up a bottle and am happy. Mixing it with ginger but had a taste by itself and for $19.99 a 750 gonna keep some around.
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    @Lit did you get a card on the bottle for a $10 rebate. Makes it a super deal
    500 Posts: 3,177
    So many good choices to try. Some of the ones I've enjoyed over the years: imageimageimageimageimageimage
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited January 2014
    Sorry, Forty Creek is a Canadian Whiskey, so that doesn't count, but I visited the distillery and have enjoyed it since.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I found Larceny. $40 a handle. I really want to like it, but after brewing a batch of dark ale today, I'm getting an over abundance of malt and yeast. I think my sinuses and sense of smell are overwhelmed right now. Hell, the house reeks of malt. Think I'll take a shower, try again and see if that helps. On the + side, I got another batch of beer brewing.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare 17 year are my new favorites
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Knob Creek, Elijah Craig, Woodford are my go to choices of late. Local lcbo out of stock but found this lonely bottle of Eagle Rare today. Never had it so I decided to make a new friend. Bottled by Buffalo Trace. Looking forward to a new taste.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• squarre
    squarre Posts: 6
    edited January 2014
    Enjoying this thread. BGE and bourbon are 2 things I am trying to learn about this year. Received a large BGE for Christmas. I also received a book on whiskey and round ice mold from my wife after mentioning that I wanted to learn about bourbon.
    Large BGE | Marietta, GA
  • Drewdlc17
    Drewdlc17 Posts: 124
    Blanton's is good but runs around. $50. Cool to have in your collection!