Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tips for using the ThermoWorks IR Gun for Pizza Stone & Wok ?

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
So I got the ThermoWorks IR Gun as a Christmas gift this year.  Lots of fun to shoot the laser at stuff/people around the house, but have not used it for the Egg yet.  I did a little research but I did not find much about "target temperatures" when using this thermometer.  My goal is to use it to make more consistent High Temp pizzas and better Stir Fry.   So I was wondering if anyone has target temps for optimal performance related to:
1) Pizza Stone
2) Wok (carbon steel)  . . . ALSO, would you shoot the oil or the steel?

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Pizza stone, i go for around 500 and the definitly the oil in the wok which not sure maybe 400 to 450.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I use mine when heating the stone as well and I wait until it reads 450. I'm just surprised how long it takes a stone to get that hot so it's no wonder all those years my crust wasn't very crispy!

BTW did you get the alternative probe as well? That turns your IR gun into another Thermapen with the same quick reading performance.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Ron, that model doesn't let you use a thermocouple probe. I have that one too. But I already had the T-pen anyway so it doesn't matter.

As for pizza stone temps, my pies require varying oven temps depending on the type and flour used. Anywhere from 450° to 725°. I just wait until the stone gets there.

Haven't tried the IR with the wok. I just get it hot enough for a drop of water to instantly vaporize in the oil.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Like @RRP I've learned that it is very important to get the stone up to about 500 before putting any pizza on it.  It can take quite a while to get the stone up to that temperature (maybe 25-30 minutes).  The IR gun is very useful to measure that temperature.  My pizza's improved greatly when I started using it this way.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Loosemoose
    Options
    Can I ask what kind of oil you use in the wok? I bought one for the wife to play with and don't really know what oil to use.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Zippylip stage 2 dough - see link below) can handle a stone temp on 650F - 750F?  Time will tell, but excited I will not have to guess about the Stone's temp anymore.  

As for the WOK OIL, I use Peanut Oil, but you have options, as long as the smoke point is high enough.  In other words, dont use Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Flaxseed Oil, etc because smoke point is too low.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”