Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Greetings and Salutations

Options

Hello all,

My awesome new wife picked me up a Large BGE for a wedding/Christmas present.  I have been cooking on a Weber kettle for years, but I am excited to branch out into this brave new world.  I now have a green Weber Performer (may be sold soon), a green Weber Genesis (wedding present from new in-laws), and a BGE.  There is truly no excuse for me not to grill every meal.

The BGE will be assembled and used for the first time this weekend.  Not sure what to christen it with yet, but I am open to suggestions.

I have no doubt I will be asking a series of questions you have all answered before, but hopefully soon I will also be adding to the discussions.  Love the table forum.  That will be a project for the Spring.

Thanks,
Bryan

Homewood, AL
Lg BGE, Green Weber Performer, Green Weber Genesis

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Most important: Welcome to the forum where you will get 4 different answers to any question and 3 will be correct.

Most important: Learn to burp your Egg ( open about a half inch and close to keep from burning off your face).

Most important: buy a Thermapen (not a look alike)

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    Welcome to the cult.

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Inaugural cook... Spatchcock chicken.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options

Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Here's a link to a great site that has lots of eggcellent info.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm Check it out when you can.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Welcome
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Welcome aboard!  What time should we all arrive?  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Welcome, keep the kettle, always nice to have another charcoal grill. The side burner on the Genesis and using it isa warming oven place to put hot tools and setters is a really nice to have. If you have the room, hang onto everything. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome. +1 on mickey's advice. A butt would be a good first cook. It'd be good to take a night to load the egg and play around with the temperatures. Easy to go up but hard to bring the egg temperature back down.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • EggoMatic
    EggoMatic Posts: 130
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride! There are many avenues to explore when it comes to cooking on the egg. You will find that practice really makes perfect.
    LBGE Virginia Beach, Virginia
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Welcome,  +1 on Hennaplle's advice, start with something you know to cook and remember to Post pictures or it didn't happen.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Welcome. To add to @mickeys list be perpared to buy lotsa beer/booze.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Welcome!

Yes, the pics are important... you will be branded a liar if you don't post them :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

Most important, thank your new wife. \:D/

Welcome and ask away.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Mickey
    Options
    Where are you?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bwhitehead
    Options
    You are right Skiddymarker.  I could only get a few dollars out of the kettle.  May as well keep it for backup.  I can make some killer wings on it.
    Welcome, keep the kettle, always nice to have another charcoal grill. The side burner on the Genesis and using it isa warming oven place to put hot tools and setters is a really nice to have. If you have the room, hang onto everything. 

Homewood, AL

• bwhitehead
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Where are you?

I am in Homewood, just south of Birmingham, AL

Homewood, AL

• Mickey
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Where are you?

Good. I am getting ready to retire and need places to sleep & borrow money around the country.

• bwhitehead
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Mickey said:
    Where are you?

Good. I am getting ready to retire and need places to sleep & borrow money around the country.
    Just run the grills full time and we may work out a deal.

Homewood, AL

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I offered Mickey a bed to crash here in Flint (BYOWeapon), bit he wussed out.
    Flint, Michigan
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options

Welcome !  All these folks are G-R-E-A-T !!  You'll see.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Holepuncher
    Options
    Jump in and hang on!
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • GoVols
    GoVols Posts: 216
    Options
    Now that's a great wife. Enjoy your egg
    Tim Rickman,Tn.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Enjoy your egg, Bryan. I'd do chicken.

Bryan
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    As you wander along the path of Egging, you will find no better source of info, encouragement, and great cooking advice than this forum!
    Welcome.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Welcome to the wild bunch...and good luck on that first cook.

Opelika, Alabama
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Welcome - you'll get some good-looking cooking.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Welcome to the madness I would say for the 1st cook Pork shoulder or Butt and make pulled pork it's a fairly easy cook and the Pork is forgiveing so as a new cook with the BGE  it should be a huge success ,I would set you Egg for 225 degrees with the plate setter in legs up with some apple wood chunks and cook until the meat reaches 195  then pull it wrap it in tin foil and then a towel and put into a cooler for at least 1 hour and then pull it and serve ,good luck and remember to take photos and post to the fourm  
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.