Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: A day of celebration in our home

Got a new job!

Pay is less, however, I am currently working 50-55 hours a week with an hour and a half commute each way. I am salary so I don't get overtime and I have a mandatory 50 hour work week (even if I am just sitting only thumbs).

New job is hourly and will be 40 hours each week, no weekends, no long days, 2 weeks more of time each year.

I have come to realize that I can always make more money, but I can never get back the time with my children.

Will have to get creative with egging to save some costs.

Peace out,

JT

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Awesome.  Congrats.

Garnerville, NY
  • That many hours must be brutal, congrats on the new job and getting to spend more time with family.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• This is the first time I've congratulated someone for climbing down a wrung on the corporate ladder. Heartfelt Congratulations!
    Flint, Michigan
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Cool... Hope it works out for the best for the family and yourself.

Have yet to hear anyone at a hospice say they wished they'd spent more time working :)
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I know it was a hard decision to make but you made the right one.
    Congratulations!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Yes, there have been stretches (3 months) where it is 6 days a week. Makes for long days, long weeks, long months.

Very excited for more family time
  • Congrats!!  Time with your family is priceless.
  • Yes it was a thought of, "We got the job!... Oh crap, we got the job, we need to make sure this works..."

Ha ha ha.

I have worked for the last 7 years working my way from an entry level receptionist to a manager. Now I just want more time with the family.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Hope it all works out for the best. Family time is priceless. I think that's why I appreciate the grandkids so much, I spend more time with them than I did with my own. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Congrats!  Very wise decision for you and your family.

I too am thinking about winding down a bit myself.  I've hit it hard and now in my 30's have everything paid off aside from the mortgage, and refinanced it last summer to a point where it's cheaper than an apartment.

Gonna see how long I can continue to stick it out at my current job and stash as much bank away as I can.  After that, looking to step out of the industry and get back into the golf business.  Get me out from behind a desk and outdoors with people again.

Enjoy your time with family.  Your kids will grow older much faster than you like.  Time spent with them can't be bought back with no amount of money.  Cheers!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Yea I am 31, and with my new position I will be back to my current salary in 3 1/2 years so it is a temporary set back for sure.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited January 2014
    As a stay at home dad I say cheers!
    I know I am "missing" out on career building but like Haps hospice comment.... It will be glorious when I'm on that death bed knowing I was with my kids every day for their first years can't put $$ on it. Heck sons close to 5 I don't know where it went .

We all can only do our best!
    Seattle, WA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Congratulations. ..you'll look up and they'll be gone.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I did a very similar thing about 2 months ago. I took a cut in pay but I am home every night now. I was traveling 45 weeks out of the year. I will miss the air miles and hotel points but that pales in comparison to tucking my children into bed every night and eating dinner with the family instead of in a hotel bar. I absolutely have no regrets! Congratulations!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • shadowcaster
    shadowcaster Posts: 620
    edited January 2014
    Congrats and you made the right choice...I had a similar choice to make just a few weeks ago. The company I work for wanted me to go salary and work less hours (my current avg over the last 2 yrs is 62.5hrs/wk). However, being in a position where I have to finish school and have a 2 yr old at home I opted to stay hourly. That way I can afford to finish school then after that I will be making more and spending a lot more time at home. The biggest thing for me is spending time with family but at this point in my life I think the money now will help me achieve that goal in just 2 maybe 3 years. I know its not an easy decision to make and I applaud you for making the right one, it shows what kind of man you are. We need more of people like you in the world today! 
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • Congrats.  No question that you made the right decision.  I'm happy for you and your family.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• mgoblue0484
    mgoblue0484 Posts: 148
    edited January 2014

Sounds like my situation a few years back. Do you work in Hospitality? Good Luck to you. The time with your kids is priceless.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• Work in construction. Just told the boss, his first question was "are you going to make more money?" Ha ha ha
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Congratulations, man! I'm sure your family is very happy that you will have more time for them.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GoVols
    GoVols Posts: 216
    Enjoy egging and spending time with your family.
    Tim Rickman,Tn.
  • You go big dog. Hope you don't miss a penny! You probably made your wife one of the happiest in the world.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Work in construction. Just told the boss, his first question was "are you going to make more money?" Ha ha ha

Priorities, young man......priorities!! You have found what's important. You will adjust to the money, because you have adjusted your thinking on what's important in life! Damn good!!!!

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • If you are driving 1 1/2 hrs per day, the fuel savings alone may offset some of the salary loss. Congrats on the new job. The thing I hate most is Monday mornings when I have to go to work and leave my kids.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Congrats Fletch, I can easily say you made the right decision.  Hope that it works out well for you on all fronts. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Congrats. Hope it works out.
  • Way to go sir...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Nice one! Good Luck
    Lynnwood WA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Without a doubt. ..you absolutely made the best decision. Family first brother and you're absolutely setting a great example for your children too.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Very respectable move. Well done.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Congrats. Happy for you and your family.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings