Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

OT - Beer Trading/Swapping

I know this idea got floated around earlier in 2013, but nothing really came of it.  I have really enjoyed doing it when I was able to do so in the past, so wanted to see if there was any interest, preferably from people in different parts of the country that can swap regional beers that may not have made it to other parts.  It doesn't necessarily have to be the rarest of offerings, just something others cannot get a hold of.

I am located in Houston and have a pretty decent collection of Texas beers, with some harder to find Jester King, Karbach, and St Arnold brews, among others.

So what say you guys?  Any interest?

2014 Texas Aggies - Here's to hoping....

in Houston, TX

«1

Comments

  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,295
    Sounds like fun. We need some Vermont people to score some Heddy Topper for everyone in the group ;)

    Only problem I see is shipping could be expensive, and iffy.
    Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • EggNorthEggNorth Posts: 440
    I think it's against the law to ship booze from Canada - may be wrong. Oh well, I'll have to keep my Moosehead.
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    1 Large.  Nikon D60
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 14,132
    edited January 9
    Hell, I would get shot if I sent Lone Star.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini.... 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015

  • MayberryMayberry Posts: 426
    I'm very interested. I'm in Athens, GA, and would love to try some of the beers from out west or up north that we can't get here.
    Athens, GA
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,073
    I had a hard time shiping a bottle of wine in our rub eggchange, no UPS stores in my town could ship it so I had to go to another town to ship and my town has 300k people.

    Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

    Large & Small BGE

    Stockton Ca.

  • MayberryMayberry Posts: 426
    Box first and tell them it's olive oil. No problems shipping that way.
    Athens, GA
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,554
    Tell them it's oil or glass ware
  • jjsupaflyjjsupafly Posts: 8
    I trade all the time through Beer Advocate...would certainly be up for setting up trades on this forum as well.  Located in MN and we have a ton of great breweries that have opened recently and a good number that are set to open in 2014 and beyond.

    J
    Brisket Is My Spirit Animal
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,218
    I have done it before, you need to pack it yourself (well) and don't tell them it is beer.  USPS is usually cheaper than UPS, and faster, though you can't track it better with UPS.

    If there are enough folks interested, Elfster might be a way to set it up - like the rub/sauce exchange. 
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • TheShaytoonTheShaytoon Posts: 258
    I'm in.

    I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.
    Dallas, TX

  • MayberryMayberry Posts: 426
    I'm definitely in. Sounds like fun.
    Athens, GA
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 2,967
    I may be in on this one. Lots of local brewery's here in PA
    __________________________________________
    It's not a science, it's an art. And it's flawed.
    - Camp Hill, PA
  • Z_EggineerZ_Eggineer Posts: 537
    I could be in, depending.
    First, we would need to decide on a consistent method for shipping to each other.
    I live in Norcal and there is endless good beer.
  • MaskedMarvelMaskedMarvel Posts: 1,108
    A little pale ale for a taste of peach brandy sounds nice. ;)
    Large BGE -- Greensboro!


  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,351
    edited January 9
    I'd be interested if we can figure out how to ship it. One thing that worries me over shipping wine versus beer is the carbonation and how the package is handled. I'd hate for my package to explode. I can find some good local beers and might even toss in a few homebrews, but if I get @henapple all I'm sending him is Lonestar Light. Tall boys. In the camoflauged can. ;)

    Richardson, Texas

    Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

    The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

     

  • NsdexterNsdexter Posts: 135
    It's very expensive to ship beer in canada, but it sounds like a great way to get some good beer. I'd kill some pliny or rogues juniper ale...
    HFX NS
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Griffin said:
     but if I get @henapple all I'm sending him is Lonestar Light. Tall boys. In the camoflauged can. ;)
    Griff if Hennapple gets you, you're getting PBR and you know it
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 11,123
    Yes.. tall boys. I'll add in a beret.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,351
    I wouldn't expect anything else . :D

    Richardson, Texas

    Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

    The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

     

  • takositotakosito Posts: 21
    I live in the border in México, and can send Mexican Craft beers (not Corona, nor XX). If someone is interested, I'm in.
  • D_TrainD_Train Posts: 41
    I'd probably be in. For those who have done this sort of thing before what's the average cost to send a typical beer package (shipping only)? I remember the original thread. The original poster mentioned New Glarus and since then I pick some up every time I'm over in Hudson. Those 'sconnies don't distribute it here in MN.
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 1,440
    I'll just sit back and wait for the Pliny and Heady Topper to land on my porch.
    :D
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    "Ain't nobody gonna find ya, unless you get yourself lost."
  • I'd love to get in, my problem is that there are not many craft beers available where I live and the few there are do not bottle.  They'll sell you a jug, but I'd never try and ship one of them.

    Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

    LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

  • shadowcastershadowcaster Posts: 515
    I would be in on that! Sound like it would be a lot of fun
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Weber Performer.
    If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 1,440
    I think it was mentioned in the other thread, but there are a few of us on UNTAPPD.  It's a downloadable app where you can post and find beers, report what you're drinking, etc.

    If you're already on there, feel free to post your usernames and some Eggers can get added.
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    "Ain't nobody gonna find ya, unless you get yourself lost."
  • bvcbvc Posts: 36
    I'd be in.

    I have right around 100 trades between ratebeer and beer advocate, mostly on ratebeer though.  I rarely trade much these days, but this would be fun.

    My suggestion would be to limit this the first time around to the lower 48.  Shipping across the border can be spendy and there is also some potential customs issues.  Unless of course there are individuals that wish to take on those considerations.  I would also set a $ amount that people shop for and then when pairings are set maybe reach out to the person you are shipping to to find out what styles he or she likes or if there is a brewery in the area that they want to try. 

    Also, to answer some questions about shipping:
    • I would suggest if you don't have one already, to just set up a fedex or UPS account at home.  It is easy to do and it is less likely that you will get any questions about what you are shipping when you drop off your sealed box with label attached and ready to go.  I like to take it in toward the end of the day, just before the ground pickup goes out.
    • Shipping generally runs between $15-25ish range.  Cost of a box containing 1-2 larger bottles vs. a six pack of cans and the same 1-2 bottles is almost the same, only a couple of bucks more.
    • I always ship on a Monday or Tuesday and using the cheapest method (ground) on my desired carrier (fedex) it usually will make it there by the end of the week.  For example, if I ship from WA to PA, I need to ship it out Monday and via fedex ground home delivery it will land on Saturday...baring any weather delays.
    • Yes, shipping beer is illegal.  I have had 3 box leak in transit.  Two where either delivered with the box in a plastic bag or inside another box, and the other was held for me at the fedex hub and I had to go down and show my ID to pick it up.
    Kenmore, WA
    Large and Small BGE
  • bvcbvc Posts: 36
    edited January 9
    I'd love to get in, my problem is that there are not many craft beers available where I live and the few there are do not bottle.  They'll sell you a jug, but I'd never try and ship one of them.
    I've shipped many, many growlers...I love trading for these cause there are so many beers across the country that are draft only.  Fist time shipping one can be a little nerve racking, but they are not hard to ship.  1) do not ship in the extreme heat or the extreme cold 2) fill it as close to the day you are shipping it as possible 3) ship it out on a Monday so that the likely hood of it arriving at its destination by the end of the week is high 4) make sure that who ever is filling it, give you a good solid fill i.e. not too much head space (low fill) in the growler 5) make sure the lid is on there tight and then seal it up with a good wrapping of electrical tape around the growler cap 6) put the growler in a plastic kitchen trash bag and remove excess air and knot it up 7) ship the growler in the box upright and pack it up well.

    I have shipped 2 64oz growlers in the same box a couple of times and a growler with multiple bottles and/or cans many times using the above.  I have only had one that I shipped leak and it was due to the plastic cap that the brewery uses.  I have always opted for metal caps since. 
    Kenmore, WA
    Large and Small BGE
  • takositotakosito Posts: 21
    bvc said:
    I'd be in.

    I have right around 100 trades between ratebeer and beer advocate, mostly on ratebeer though.  I rarely trade much these days, but this would be fun.

    My suggestion would be to limit this the first time around to the lower 48.  Shipping across the border can be spendy and there is also some potential customs issues.  Unless of course there are individuals that wish to take on those considerations.  I would also set a $ amount that people shop for and then when pairings are set maybe reach out to the person you are shipping to to find out what styles he or she likes or if there is a brewery in the area that they want to try. 

    Also, to answer some questions about shipping:
    • I would suggest if you don't have one already, to just set up a fedex or UPS account at home.  It is easy to do and it is less likely that you will get any questions about what you are shipping when you drop off your sealed box with label attached and ready to go.  I like to take it in toward the end of the day, just before the ground pickup goes out.
    • Shipping generally runs between $15-25ish range.  Cost of a box containing 1-2 larger bottles vs. a six pack of cans and the same 1-2 bottles is almost the same, only a couple of bucks more.
    • I always ship on a Monday or Tuesday and using the cheapest method (ground) on my desired carrier (fedex) it usually will make it there by the end of the week.  For example, if I ship from WA to PA, I need to ship it out Monday and via fedex ground home delivery it will land on Saturday...baring any weather delays.
    • Yes, shipping beer is illegal.  I have had 3 box leak in transit.  Two where either delivered with the box in a plastic bag or inside another box, and the other was held for me at the fedex hub and I had to go down and show my ID to pick it up.
    Shipping Mexican beers from the border is not an issue. I cross the border into US and declare the beers to customs, and after paying the taxes for them, I can ship them from a friend's account. Also, I have access to some south american beers, and the process would be pretty much the same.
  • bvcbvc Posts: 36
    takosito said:
    bvc said:
    I'd be in.

    I have right around 100 trades between ratebeer and beer advocate, mostly on ratebeer though.  I rarely trade much these days, but this would be fun.

    My suggestion would be to limit this the first time around to the lower 48.  Shipping across the border can be spendy and there is also some potential customs issues.  Unless of course there are individuals that wish to take on those considerations.  I would also set a $ amount that people shop for and then when pairings are set maybe reach out to the person you are shipping to to find out what styles he or she likes or if there is a brewery in the area that they want to try. 

    Also, to answer some questions about shipping:
    • I would suggest if you don't have one already, to just set up a fedex or UPS account at home.  It is easy to do and it is less likely that you will get any questions about what you are shipping when you drop off your sealed box with label attached and ready to go.  I like to take it in toward the end of the day, just before the ground pickup goes out.
    • Shipping generally runs between $15-25ish range.  Cost of a box containing 1-2 larger bottles vs. a six pack of cans and the same 1-2 bottles is almost the same, only a couple of bucks more.
    • I always ship on a Monday or Tuesday and using the cheapest method (ground) on my desired carrier (fedex) it usually will make it there by the end of the week.  For example, if I ship from WA to PA, I need to ship it out Monday and via fedex ground home delivery it will land on Saturday...baring any weather delays.
    • Yes, shipping beer is illegal.  I have had 3 box leak in transit.  Two where either delivered with the box in a plastic bag or inside another box, and the other was held for me at the fedex hub and I had to go down and show my ID to pick it up.
    Shipping Mexican beers from the border is not an issue. I cross the border into US and declare the beers to customs, and after paying the taxes for them, I can ship them from a friend's account. Also, I have access to some south american beers, and the process would be pretty much the same.
    So long as have a US address for the sender to ship to, then that would work just fine!
    Kenmore, WA
    Large and Small BGE
Sign In or Register to comment.