Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE hands-on demo in South Africa

Options
NecessaryIndulg
NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
We leave for Stellenbosch and Cape Town next week and while I was researching places to eat, I came across this Big Green Egg hands-on demo with Bertus Basson, the chef at Overture Restaurant!  I thought there was no way I could score tickets this late, but they just wrote back and said they have two tickets saved for me! :D  I'm sooooo pumped!    \:D/
And! How cool is it that the chef from one of the top restaurants in South Africa, has EGGed food on his menu.  
:-bd

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    That is too cool, Kristi. Can't wait to see the pictures. Have a fun and safe trip.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    VI and I will carry your bags girl. Oh, and I just scored you tickets for Salado.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited January 2014
    Options

Talk about "icing on the cake".  And to think you could improve on a trip to S. Africa!!!  Have a blast and take lots of pictures.  Be safe.

Oh....and take lots of notes on that desert. :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    Sounds like a great time enjoy and take lost of photos so we all can see 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    That's unbelievable. Congratulations
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Z_Eggineer
    Options
    Drink some Pinotage for me!
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Enjoy it Christi, we were there many years ago, it is a beautiful city. Go downtown to the waterfront, and also go to Cape Point. Have fun at the Restaurant. Please up date us when you get back, would love to hear about that.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Have a great trip, I'm sure you will be able to appreciate the cuisine offered and the entire experience, much more than the rest of us beer swilling self proclaimed egging experts. What an opportunity. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Have a great trip and enjoy.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    In Capetown you should also try a restaurant called the Green Dolphin.  It's next to the Cape Town mall on the Waterfront.  If you go to Cape Point stop in the little fishing town of of Simon's Town for lunch at the Salty Sea Dog.  Ask for the fish and chips made from the Kingklip fish.  It is hands down the best fish and chips I've ever had, especially when chased down with an ice cold Windhoek beer!  

Just outside of Simon's Town you can stop and see the large colony of African Jackass Penguins that inhabit the beaches.  When in Stellenbosch, be sure to stop at the Constantia Vineyards as they have a fabulous merlot.

Mike 

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Thanks, y'all!  I'll be sure to take and send plenty of pictures! 

@BOWHUNR:  Thank you for the restaurant recommendations! This is our second trip to Cape Town and the Winelands -- the last time was three years ago.  We thought about exploring another part of SA, but we loved that area so much, we decided to go soak-up some more.  :D
    I just put Green Dolphin at the V&A on my list of Cape Town restaurants.  If we head back down to Cape Point and Simon's Town, I'll be sure to look up the places you mentioned!
    Also, we ate at Constantia's restaurant, La Colombe... you're right, they do have a fabulous merlot! And food! 

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    No problem Kristi, enjoy your trip.  I have been to SA and Zimbabwe five times over the last 12 years.  I love spending time in Southern Africa, but it's a shame to see what Mandela and Mugabe have done to the once thriving countries.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Sounds like you are in for a fun time. And we definitely want to see pics when you return :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    Kristi, have you figured out a good way to get wine back to the US?  When we were there in 2010 for the World Cup we didn't think to bring wine back or have any shipped.  I assumed we could get home and order whatever we want online.  However, it seems only a small percentage of South African vineyards ship to the US - either fo individuals or to my local wine stores.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    That's really awesome!  Have a great time!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Hey, @Foghorn -- You're right!  It's best to grab what you like when you find it... especially from smaller boutique wineries (my favorite kind).  Most places will have a large box with Styrofoam cutouts for the bottles.  Last time, we just checked that at the airport and everything made it home safely.  Phew! :D  
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Tonight is the night for the demo! Super pumped for it!

Yesterday, we went to a place called Bread & Wine. The owner cooks on a BGE there, too-- I ordered the Karoo Lamb, it is cooked for 12 hours and then pulled. It was amazing. . . picture attached. :)
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    That looks...interesting.

Cleanup on isle 5!
    Gittin' there...
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Trip of a lifetime.... awesome
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • chainsaw19
    Options
    BOWHUNR said:
    In Capetown you should also try a restaurant called the Green Dolphin.  It's next to the Cape Town mall on the Waterfront.  If you go to Cape Point stop in the little fishing town of of Simon's Town for lunch at the Salty Sea Dog.  Ask for the fish and chips made from the Kingklip fish.  It is hands down the best fish and chips I've ever had, especially when chased down with an ice cold Windhoek beer!  

Just outside of Simon's Town you can stop and see the large colony of African Jackass Penguins that inhabit the beaches.  When in Stellenbosch, be sure to stop at the Constantia Vineyards as they have a fabulous merlot.

Mike 

Agree on the Kingclip suggestion, I had this on a trip to South Africa and it was amazing.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    I grew up there. Enjoy! If you head out towards Simonstown there is a small fishing harbor that all the boats come into called Kalk Bay, Harbour House restaurant out on the pier is fantastic http://www.harbourhouse.co.za/ .  Nothing like awsome Karoo lamb!!!
    Lynnwood WA