Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eff me. The world is ending.

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    henapple said:
    That's why we can't run plumbing thru exterior walls
    Ya'll have plumbing? If not in the wall, where?
     Ever since many of us Canucks started watching Holmes on Homes we realized having an outhouse wasn't cool, it never froze up but it wasn't fashionable. Code does not allow installation of water pipes in outside walls, does limit interior planning but if water supply lines freeze in an inside wall you have much bigger problems to worry about. 

@Eggcelsior - sorry to see the mess you have, hopefully it will all work out without too much hassle. 
    Love that show. It's too bad they don't name the crummy contractors given all the shoddy work they uncover.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Looks like you caught it before it got out of hand. My guess is it might dry up fine over time.
    Gittin' there...
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Well, at least your HOI will step up on this; it certainly is "sudden and accidental discharge" of water, not a gradual thing.
    Royal PITA though.   Good luck.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options

Just signed on - sorry to hear that.

You know what they say - "Get lemons, look for the guy with the vodka bottle!"

Hope all is OK.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Sucks.  been there though in my old condo - Thankfully we were living in the upstairs unit.  The downstairs unit just refinished their bathroom - they had to redo it.

Garnerville, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @browninggold, this was new construction.
    @canugghead, don't worry, I am. The plumber was dumbfounded at how piss poor the work was. We are going to check County building codes and get it inspected. I am also going to find the original inspection report through tax
    records. I'm going to try and have the builder cover the repairs and remediation.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

That sucks. Hope you caught it in time.

Is that PVC I see the toilet valve attached to from the wall?

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Browninggold
    Options
    @Eggcelsior sounds like you will have a great case against the "so-called" builder. Good luck for a positive and quick outcome.
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    Very sorry to hear that bud. Doesn't sound good. Take care, hope its a cheap and quick fix.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @hotch, yes. Everything is PVC above the water suppression system.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    We are not allowed to use PVC for distribution, just D&W. PEX is taking over here.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    Get rid of the plastic pipe and replace it with Pex. It is much more forgiving and can take some freeze/thaw without breaking. Nice stuff to work with too.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    edited January 2014
    Options
    @eggselcior
    when i did mine i avoided the outside wall just piped it down and thru
    :D no freezing in the wall

:))

@little steven  you thought my lofted shower room was bad
    :)) my plumbers a drunk but he works cheap :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    I'm in the same boat.  Went home last night to a pipe bust.  Thank goodness it was in the garage.  My garage door opener was shot and my heat pump wasn't working.  Lowes was sold out on all plumbing supplies, so I had to call a plumber.  Use a wood stove so we didn't freeze anything else and I'll manually use the garage door until the weekend.  HVAC guys will investigate heat pump today hopefully.  Keep your fingers crossed, my purchase of a new small egg is in the balance here.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    I wonder if you could fish an adequate diameter of Pex inside that PVC?
    Gittin' there...
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @fishlessman.

That's the plan except I'm going to go through the kitchen. The wife will likely disagree with your option so I'll probably run pex through the ceiling in the kitchen.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    @fishlessman. That's the plan except I'm going to go through the kitchen. The wife will likely disagree with your option so I'll probably run pex through the ceiling in the kitchen.
    she probably wouldnt like my lofted shower either :))
    fukahwee maine

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @fishlessman is that a 600 or 1000 metal halide? The first couple branches behind the fridge made me zoom in.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    would have to check but i think its a 600.  ive got bay, rosemary, and keiffer growing in the kitchen to the chagrin of the peeping men in blue ive caught peering in thru the window :)) ive got the worlds smallest kitchen, but i have light
    fukahwee maine

• Lit
    Options
    Nice. i really want to set up a 4*4 flood table with a 600 over it. Gonna try to do vegetables though. You using soil or synthetic? I plan on using Rockwool and chems.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Lit said:
    Nice. i really want to set up a 4*4 flood table with a 600 over it. Gonna try to do vegetables though. You using soil or synthetic? I plan on using Rockwool and chems.
    If you move to Colorado you can grow whatever you like ;).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Lit
    Options
    If its legal there won't be any money in it. Probably make more sell hydro veggies.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    @Lit

400 metal halide is what it is after checking. its set up on a 4 hour timer for the winter then the potted soil plants go back outside in the spring. it throws a lot of dry heat compounded by the dry heat of my coal stove and most plants need more moisture in the air so depending on your situation maybe a humidifier. my rosemary has a hard time without the humidifier that i use to have running, it takes a hit every winter, ive had it a good 15 years now
    fukahwee maine

• Lit
    Options

@fishlessman if you upgrade the light to a vented hood you can put glass on the bottom and a squirrel cage and vent it to another room or even the attic to remove the heat. I have used sun system lights in the past and they are really nice and the difference between a 400 and a 600 is huge in the amount of light and useable space they create. I want to do a year round indoor hydro garden as soon as we get a new house and the wife is on board now since she only eats vegetables. Venting the light also allows you to get the plants closer to the light source without burning them from the heat.

• fishlessman
    Options
    Lit said:

@fishlessman if you upgrade the light to a vented hood you can put glass on the bottom and a squirrel cage and vent it to another room or even the attic to remove the heat. I have used sun system lights in the past and they are really nice and the difference between a 400 and a 600 is huge in the amount of light and useable space they create. I want to do a year round indoor hydro garden as soon as we get a new house and the wife is on board now since she only eats vegetables. Venting the light also allows you to get the plants closer to the light source without burning them from the heat.

the heats not to much of a problem for me, its set to go on when i get back from work, its the only heat source in the kitchen other than the cooking stove. :)) if my basement was warm enough it would be setup better down there but this gets me thru the cold months with what i want to grow and keep thru the winter. raised beds going in in the spring, i have 3 four foot diameter stainless  cylinders  to fill with soil going in up at camp
    fukahwee maine

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Aerogardens are easier if you want to grow veggies indoors.

Just sayin.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Lit
    Options

@Dredger Thats pretty cool I never knew those worked. Its really easy to make your own flood table though and much cheaper. I can build a 4'*4" flood table and get a used 600 watt metal halide off craigslist for probably $250 total and have lots of space to use. Its basically the same premise but I want a 4'*4' or maybe even a little bigger table and I will use 4" Rockwool cubes instead of peat moss. Those tomato plants look really healthy though I can't wait to play around. What chems are you using the general hydro green pink and purple? Do you flush them before you harvest? How do those keep the roots wet do they flood or some kind of drip or mister system?

• Dredger
    Options
    Lit, I use the Aerogarden standard liquid nutrients, but a lot of Agers use the General Hydroponic nutes. I do a rinse and refill once a month on the tomatoes, peppers, peas, etc. Not really necessary to do that with lettuce and herbs. Aerogarden and Miracle Gro became partners around mid December and a lot of great deals were to be had on the gardens. Costco had the Ultra, which is the top of the line for $119.00 and free shipping. Santa brought me a couple. I have nine gardens now. Everything is automatic from the lights on/off to blinking lights when it's time to feed or water the plants. It is a drip system. You just select the type of plant you're growing when you power it up and plant the pods You can also grow your own seeds. I have the two Ultras from Christmas yet to plant One will get Norli Snow Peas and the other will get Baby Bok Choy. I'll be stir frying in 40 days with fresh veggies. I get a lot of seeds from Park Seeds and make my own pods. You might want to take a look at Park Seed's grow sponges. They work really well. Sometimes particular seeds have a problem getting through the Rockwool, like spinach for instance. Be sure to keep light out of your water or you'll get algae. That's why the AG machines have spacer plugs to keep light from hitting the water. Good luck with yours. There's nothing like really fresh veggies just picked from the plant.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Beagle1
    Beagle1 Posts: 37
    Options

I know your pain, we had the samething happen.  We live in Atlanta, temp went to 6 degrees, had two pipes burst.  Fortunately, we were able to cut the water quickly and damage was limited.  Good luck you with your repairs.

Atlanta, GA and Watts Bar Lake, TN
    2 LBGEs
  • Dredger
    Options
    @Eggcelsior, sorry about your water problems. Hope it's resolved quickly.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC