Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic or Cast Iron Platesetter

Options
Hello all another noob here my wife surprised me the other day with my new LBGE and very happy with it.  I spent months pouring over this and other forums trying to decide what was the right new grill/smoker for me and she got tired of me talking about and ended the discussion (the best way possible way I think)  I have done a few grills with it some succesfull some not.  But I am trying to get it set up for some smoking this weekend and my local dealer is really pushing the cast iron platesetter over the ceramic one and I was really hoping to get all of yalls opinion on this before I make my purchase.
Lexington TN

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    edited January 2014
    Options
    The PS is a heat shield, and ceramics do a pretty decent job of that.  I'd think a CI PS would be quite a bit heavier, and I'm not sure I see any real advantage.  It's probably less likely to crack/break, but that's about it.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    I'm a noob myself but went with the cast iron one.  I originally bought the ceramic the day before Dizzyfest but after spending the day at Dizzyfest talking to the cooks they all talked me into the cast iron one.  I've been happy with it, it does great for smoking and I've used it to put my dutch oven on after a cook to serve.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    BTW I think there was an earlier thread on this topic here:

If that's what you're looking at then I understand that it's actually a little different, in the sense that it's designed to be cooked on.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i would look at the adjustable rig combo with spider and stone first, it will set you up with alot more options down the road, google ceramic grill store
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options

Before you go with a platesetter of any material, take a look at the various setups offered here-

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ I have the platesetter (ceramic) and it works well but there are configurations at the cgs that will give you much more versatility down the road.  hopefully the eggsperts will be along to provide more info.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth.

BTW-great score from SWMBO-welcome aboard.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    IMO not even a close call. Do the spider and a stone. Then you can do all kinds of other things. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Would cast iron act as a conductor instead of a heat shield?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'm in the "don't get either of them" camp. Money will be better spent on an adjustable rig setup from CGS.

@henapple - CI woiuld still act as a heat shield. A better conductor than ceramic but air between the meat and the CI would still be an insulator of sorts. CI may give off more radiant heat than ceramic though - don't know for sure. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MJLivingston
    Options

Thanks everyone for their input I was wondering do yall get commission for selling the AR.  I am just kidding I can see thats the route I need to go just to be sure though when I get the AR with the spider and stone there would never likely be a reason to get the platesetter right.

Lexington TN
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options

Thanks everyone for their input I was wondering do yall get commission for selling the AR.  I am just kidding I can see thats the route I need to go just to be sure though when I get the AR with the spider and stone there would never likely be a reason to get the platesetter right.

only reason i can see to get the platesetter is if you are a full time artisan baker, its just not needed if you have the rig setup. for low and slows a pan hanging under the grate will do the same thing ansd lots of us just used bricks years ago with a second grid, a weber kettle grill grate fits. but the rig is the go to if you have the cash
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Caliking. ..time for one of your science experiments.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    i would look at the adjustable rig combo with spider and stone first, it will set you up with alot more options down the road, google ceramic grill store
    +1

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    I agree with those suggesting the adjustable rig and stone set up. I got the ceramic plate setter when I bought my large two years ago this past October. For Christmas two months later my wife and family sprung for the rig. The plate setter has been in the garage since then covered in dust.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • MJLivingston
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice just completed my order for the customer combo adjustable rig.
    Lexington TN
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    henapple said:
    @Caliking. ..time for one of your science experiments.
    I guess i could sometime... I still have some WG left  :ar!

@MJLivingston - forgot to mention that I bought a platesetter when i purchased my first egg and returned it after 2 cooks since I didn't like it. I currently use 2 bricks to raise the grid +/- a water pan or clay saucer to make it indirect. Plan is to buy an AR soon. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.