Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eff me. The world is ending.

Options
Eggcelsior
Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
Well crap. I posted in the cold cold cold thread that my pipes to the master toilet had froze and I was crossing my fingers for a good outcome. I put a parabolic heat dish in front of the throne to warm it up in hopes of defrosting everything. About an hour later, I suddenly heard a rushing sound behind the wall and water started running across the tile. I rushed to the basement to shut off the water and found this:

Coming from this:

Up in the bathroom, Tada!

Carpet in front of the bathroom:

And finally, the coup de grace:

imageimage

I initiated a HOI claim and need to call Servepro in the morning.

Hooray!

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Ouch, that sucks. Good luck on the minimal amount of damage and fastest thorough repairs possible.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Thanks. I can't see anything further this morning. Just need to open the wall behind the toilet now. Good times.
  • Loosemoose
    Options
    Yeah that sucks for sure. Good luck.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    So sorry man! That sucks.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    That's ****.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Sorry man.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    At least you were home and stopped it before it did more damage. Still sux though
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you except I was lucky and caught it before it leaked. I shot the water over and have a big tarp in the attic. I will be fixing it this morning. Good luck, hopefully it didn't cause too much damage for you
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Sorry man
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    And I think it was you that warned us about pipes freezing. Sorry to hear that, Eggs.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That sucks man but at least it is covered by insurance.  All will be well.  

Does the toilet sit on an exterior wall?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    That really bites. Hope insurance doesn't give you the run around.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    That's why we can't run plumbing thru exterior walls

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    @smokeypitt, yes. It's part of a 3 story bump-out that is 10x10. The master bath takes up the top level and the sunroom is the 1st floor. The lady next door has a bump out but only on the first level. There is basically 2-3 feet of exposed wall where the pipe runs up. I'm royally pissed because I think this is less "it's too cold" and more "the builder did a **** job insulating an exterior wall.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Pic of bump out for reference. The toilet is on the left side. image
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Oy vay. Sorry man. That looks like a headache.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

Dang....that sucks.  Sorry.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I've been through that with a rental property my parents own in Maine and it is a serious pain in the arse.  Best of luck getting things resolved quickly and with a minimum of fuss and drama.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I'm sorry buddy. Suddenly, my problems don't seem so bad.
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

Ya'll have plumbing? If not in the wall, where?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Damn man, Im sorry to hear about this. I hope all repairs go smoothly. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    henapple said:
     Ever since many of us Canucks started watching Holmes on Homes we realized having an outhouse wasn't cool, it never froze up but it wasn't fashionable. Code does not allow installation of water pipes in outside walls, does limit interior planning but if water supply lines freeze in an inside wall you have much bigger problems to worry about. 

@Eggcelsior - sorry to see the mess you have, hopefully it will all work out without too much hassle. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Sorry man!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Sorry for the troubles. Never have heard of a "stick built" house having frozen pipes before. Years ago I was renting a modular and the MB pipes froze...pain in the arse for sure. That is a crappy shituation you have there. Hopefully it will be a quick fix and not too expensive where your just pissing your money away.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    FML - that sucks. Hope it dries out quick and is a 'simple' repair.. whatever that is.

When your plumbing is OK, you don't know where the pipes are.  Once you have an issue, you know exactly where every pipe is!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Sorry for the troubles. Never have heard of a "stick built" house having frozen pipes before. Years ago I was renting a modular and the MB pipes froze...pain in the arse for sure. That is a crappy shituation you have there. Hopefully it will be a quick fix and not too expensive where your just pissing your money away.

Flint, Michigan
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited January 2014
    Options

Sorry Egg, hope there's no further damage and you don't have a high deductible.

henapple said:
     Ever since many of us Canucks started watching Holmes on Homes we realized having an outhouse wasn't cool, it never froze up but it wasn't fashionable. Code does not allow installation of water pipes in outside walls, does limit interior planning but if water supply lines freeze in an inside wall you have much bigger problems to worry about. 

@Eggcelsior - sorry to see the mess you have, hopefully it will all work out without too much hassle. 
    Damn, one of our washrooms has bathtub/shower plumbing on an exterior wall ... touch wood, no problem with freezing in >20 years, perhaps facing the neighbour's house (no direct wind) and being the most frequently used shower (no chance for water to stand still) help! 

canuckland
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Here is the culprit:

I'm royally pissed off. The pipe was no where near code. Less than 4 inches of baffing insulation and no r-max at all.

• Browninggold
    Options
    Wow! I would be also...did you purchase new? If you did whip some contractor butt.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Can you go after the builder? probably a long shot.

I also wonder if copper pipes would have fared differently, i.e.leaked sooner, later, or not at all  
    :-/
    canuckland