Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

perfect day for sausage making

CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 6,160
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
It's insanely cold ... van hood won't open ... water splashed on wood top table in enclosed front porch froze on contact ... burrrrrrrr

Picked up two whole New York pork shoulders yesterday, ground them up today and yielded about 30 lb, made 20 lb of Indian sausages, another 10 lb for tomorrow but haven't decided on seasoning yet.  Used the enclosed front porch as super fridge, ground meat stayed almost semi frozen the whole time during various stages.

Found the meat grinder's sausage attachment, way easier than using thumb and funnel!  Figured out a way to twist the links with absolutely no blowout and no untwisting of previous links - pinch each link as soon as there's enough meat and rotate the round holding pan a few times.

canuckland

Comments

• shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 3,998
    Sweet! I'll take a few of those.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    Snausages.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Gary you are a hard working man up there in the frozen country.  Hope all is well with you.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 6,160
    Hey Larry, good to see you around.  Actually I'm hardly working these days - no job ;(   Say Hi to V.
    canuckland
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 10,759
    Gary - you're a sausage making machine! I'll take the bucket on the left please :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,817
    Hey Larry, good to see you around.  Actually I'm hardly working these days - no job ;(   Say Hi to V.

From me too Larry!

Gary, did you get the pork on sale?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 6,160
    Yes Steve, at RCSS this week till Thursday, Ontario pork, whole leg or NY shoulder, .98/lb ... but I paid .79/lb because I got a special 20% off email offer from PC Plus loyalty programme. 
    canuckland
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,669
    :-bd That is a lot of sausage!! Nicely done, Sir!! If I found shoulder at $0.79 a lb I would jump on it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• r270bar270ba Posts: 763
    recipe?
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $