Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking at a 2nd Egg

I already have a large. Was thinking small or medium for the next one. What has everyone else done?

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Second Large and a Mini. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    If you aren't looking for portability large large makes a ton of sense with respect to accessories and room.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    If you aren't looking for portability large large makes a ton of sense with respect to accessories and room.
    yep, one of these days that's what I plan on doing.  
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    Small

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I've had L M combo and now have L L combo. I only upgraded because I got a deal on a demo L that came with a cast iron grate. The M was a little more efficient on charcoal but using all my eggsessories on both eggs is really nice too. I would like to add a small for tailgating someday. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    shtgunal3 said:
    Small
    +1

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Large / Small combo is what we went with and we love it! I travel with the small quite often and can make meals for a crowd while away from my backyard. When I use both I sear on the small and finish on the Large and it works great. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Small and a black mini
  • I have two large, two small and 2 minis.  One of each in two different locations.  The large is a must have for me and I find I use the smalls much more than I thought I would.  The minis are not used that often.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • My 1st was a LBGE and my 2nd is a LBGE and love having 2 LBGE'Simage
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    I have large and small on a small com I use small works great if I'm doing ribs on large I use the small for other things
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    If I could only have two it would be Mini and Large.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I have a Large/Medium combo and love it. However if I were to just have the Large I would probably go wit another Large just for the fact of being able to use the same accessories on both
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I have an XL and a Medium and am happy with that combo. If I was starting from scratch I think I would go with 2 Larges.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Hold out for awhile and get the XXL

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    You didn't mention how many people you usually cook for. It's just Mrs G and me during the week, so the Mini gets it done most nights. On the weekends, we usually entertain, so the Large/Mini combo works great. Especially if my pescaterian cousin comes over. He can cook his own dinner on the Mini while I cook for everybody else on the Large.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• I have 2 large and the fact that accessories are interchangeable makes it the best combo for me.
  • I'm at number 11, right now, 3 mini's, 2 small's, 1 medium, 4 large's, and 1 extra large, I need one more for a dozen that's my goal then I have to stop. If I can !
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Totally agree with @Griffin, it really depends on what your typical cook would be and how you cook.  I have a Large, Medium, and a small.  The medium gets the most use for my family of 2 adults one elementary age child, and one toddler. However if all I was preparing for the family was the proteins I could probably use the small most nights.  

I typically cook the entire meal on the Egg with the only thing that doesn't see time on the Egg at some point is my wife's soda. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Prescatarien? Most my friends are Lutheran or Baptist. ..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I have a large and I am thinking about getting a mini for camping and family vacations.  Will the mini hold enough charcoal to smoke a pork shoulder for about 16 hours?
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    edited January 2014
    frank318 said:
    I'm at number 11, right now, 3 mini's, 2 small's, 1 medium, 4 large's, and 1 extra large, I need one more for a dozen that's my goal then I have to stop. If I can !
    holy mac, more eggs than Little Steven  :-B  ... how about a family portrait!
    canuckland
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Griffin said:
    You didn't mention how many people you usually cook for. It's just Mrs G and me during the week, so the Mini gets it done most nights. On the weekends, we usually entertain, so the Large/Mini combo works great. Especially if my pescaterian cousin comes over. He can cook his own dinner on the Mini while I cook for everybody else on the Large.
    Yep, I had to look it up also........
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • I went with the second large because of being able to use the accessories on both.  Have not regretted it at all.