Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food Safety-Cotronics and Rutland Gaskets

Options
I tried to reply in the "Gaskets" thread, but for some reason, Vanilla won't let me post a reply there. Someone there mentioned that Cotronics gaskets were food safe. That is not the case. Well, it may be the case, but neither Cotronics nor Rutland claim that. Neither company has tested their products with regard to food safety. Just thought I should point that out for the squeamish among you. :)

That said, I love my Rutland. 

Articles from TNW...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Also to be noted:

Rutland explicitly states that their materials should not be used around food. Cotronics makes no claim one way or another. Both cite that no study has been done to test this. I believe Rutland makes this claim to indemnify themselves from litigation.

Anecdotally, RRP has provided around 1000 Rutlands to people over the years and I have not heard of anyone dropping dead from it. So, there's that.
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    Anecdotally, RRP has provided around 1000 Rutlands to people over the years and I have not heard of anyone dropping dead from it. So, there's that.
    .... at least we will know who is to blame when the plague strikes
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    .... at least we will know who is to blame when the plague strikes 
    Oh, Ron's gonna LOVE that!  :))

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    As far as ingesting fibers from a Rutland gasket is concerned, you would be amazed at the things that can pass through your GI tract if  nonabsorbable - light bulbs (even small broken ones), coins of all denominations, batteries, screws, nails, etc. I'm not worried about stray fibers from a Rutland gasket killing me, especially after its matted down with some grease after a few cooks.

Inhaling the fibers may be a slightly different matter, but I doubt you'll ever inhale enough of the fibers over the period it is used as a gasket to cause any harm. Unless you grind up the gasket and snort it. Then you're on your own. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    For what it's worth, I asked Naked Whiz which gasket he uses on a thread a few months ago.  I don't recall his exact reply, but he indicated his preference is the Rutland gasket.
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I haven't used any gasket for a year or so and it works just dandy.

Gerhard
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    gerhardk said:
    I haven't used any gasket for a year or so and it works just dandy.

Gerhard
    I went many years without and had no issues. I installed rutland on all of them this past summer and I'm saving a ton on lump after I put the fire out. That said I don't use the ceramic caps

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited January 2014
    Options
    That said I don't use the ceramic caps
    Huh? Do you just hold your hand over the top until the fire goes out?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

I have never seen or used the Rutland gasket, but I can tell you that the fibers of the Cotronics gasket are fairly large and hold together quite well.  I have seen fiberglass that looked like it was snowing anytime you agitated it--not the woven ceramic.....that's why I went with the Cotronics.

With either gasket, I would recommend putting it ONLY on the bottom.  You don't need it on the top.  If either were to break down, the fibers would fall down onto the food.  The only argument for putting it on the top vs. the bottom is if you were to spill something on them.  No big deal, it doesn't absorb the grease, BBQ sauce, etc......just wipe it off with a wet dish towel.

I bought three rolls to meet the minimum order, so I have plenty if anyone needs any.  Email me.