Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Butcher paper does Aaron Franklin use for brisket?

Options
2»

Comments

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    That's a very generous offer on the butcher paper Sir.

Although I found instances where paper sacks have successfully been used for cooking a turkey and didn't fall apart, they are reportedly not considered food safe. I'm probably going to try pulling the naked packer off the egg at 165-175 then finishing it up in the oven using a vented turkey oven bag.

Blasphemy I know, but I figure once it's been wrapped, heat is heat so the oven makes the most sense. And it's warmer inside.
    Gittin' there...
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Resurrecting an old thread to ask a question.

Anyone think a paper grocery sack could be used as a substitute for plain butcher paper? Think it would hold up, or would it more likely disintegrate all over the meat?

I think more to the point was it the one you used to pick up after the dog in the yard?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Anyone think a paper grocery sack could be used as a substitute for plain butcher paper? Think it would hold up, or would it more likely disintegrate all over the meat?
    I'd say no. Imagine it would break up like toilet paper, and doubt you really want the grocery sack flavor. 

My mom used to do turkeys in paper bags. She would just oil them first. I think she started at 500* and turned down to 325* after a while

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Oh and in keeping with the spirit of the thread....JERK!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Mickey said:

I think more to the point was it the one you used to pick up after the dog in the yard?
    Neg-a-tory good buddy.
    Gittin' there...
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

I'd say no. Imagine it would break up like toilet paper, and doubt you really want the grocery sack flavor. 

My mom used to do turkeys in paper bags. She would just oil them first. I think she started at 500* and turned down to 325* after a while

That is how I did turkey before SpatchcockedBigGreenEgg only I used butter inside the bag. Never had a bag problem.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Options
    Mick, Puhleeeze...that's between you and your urologist
    :))

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    Options
    I have just started using the paper.  GAME CHANGER!!!!  I use the Peach paper and it is treated on one side with a starch...not wax.  It was so moist from end to end.  Met a guy in his restaurant who does texas style brisket.  I watched him pull out brisket after brisket and slice them down.  I couldn't believe how moist.  When I asked him his secret....he said "simple, the paper".  He sold me a roll and damn, perfection.  Was meaning to post something about it as I have never read any posts regarding this up until this one.  Honestly guys, this is one of those techniques that truly make a difference.
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • Zick
    Options
    I just read the whole thread...am I supposed to insult someone now...lol
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Zick said:

I have just started using the paper.  GAME CHANGER!!!!  I use the Peach paper and it is treated on one side with a starch...not wax.  It was so moist from end to end.  Met a guy in his restaurant who does texas style brisket.  I watched him pull out brisket after brisket and slice them down.  I couldn't believe how moist.  When I asked him his secret....he said "simple, the paper".  He sold me a roll and damn, perfection.  Was meaning to post something about it as I have never read any posts regarding this up until this one.  Honestly guys, this is one of those techniques that truly make a difference.

Can you give some more details? When do you paper the brisket and for how long?
    Dunedin, FL
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Zick said:
    I have tried it and wasn't impressed with the texture.  Almost a lil mushy.  I love using paper for pork butts, but not so much luck with brisket yet.

What temp do you wrap at?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Zick
    Options
    I can see how that could happen Cazzy.  That is why I only wrap after about 7 hours of smoking.  In addition, I open up the paper when I think I have just a couple of hours to go.  Everyone has been raving about it.  Before the paper, I was hit or miss.  People always said nice things, but you know when they really mean it.  Yzzi, did I answer your question?
  • cazzy
    Options
    Zick said:
    I can see how that could happen Cazzy.  That is why I only wrap after about 7 hours of smoking.  In addition, I open up the paper when I think I have just a couple of hours to go.  Everyone has been raving about it.  Before the paper, I was hit or miss.  People always said nice things, but you know when they really mean it.  Yzzi, did I answer your question?
    Cool deal...next cook...please try to post a cook thread and break down your process.  Pics or it didn't happen.   ;)
  • cazzy
    Options
    Oh, when I wrapped before, i didn't wrap until I got out of the stall.  
  • yzzi
    Options
    So you're wrapping maybe halfway through the stall and unwrap when coming out?
    Dunedin, FL
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    It sounds like he is Wrapping it only during the stall...instead of the water evaporating out, it's being "recycled" back onto the brisket...

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• Zick
    Options
    Pics and details on my next one for sure.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Curious here too 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    BTW, if you actually watch Franklin's YouTube video on brisket, he says something to the effect that he usually doesn't wrap.  But then he goes ahead and shows you how he wraps it, and he does it roughly at the beginning of the stall.  If you believe the video, he keeps it wrapped until he thinks it's done, then pulls it off.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • yzzi
    Options
    BTW, if you actually watch Franklin's YouTube video on brisket, he says something to the effect that he usually doesn't wrap.  But then he goes ahead and shows you how he wraps it, and he does it roughly at the beginning of the stall.  If you believe the video, he keeps it wrapped until he thinks it's done, then pulls it off.  
    Yeah, the video is a little vauge on that, but I think you're right.
    Dunedin, FL
  • cazzy
    Options
    yzzi said:

Yeah, the video is a little vauge on that, but I think you're right.

I don't recall him saying he wrapped it after the stall. I recall him saying he wrapped when he felt it had enough smoke...and maybe how it looked. I will need to watch it again.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    cazzy said:I don't recall him saying he wrapped it after the stall. I recall him saying he wrapped when he felt it had enough smoke...and maybe how it looked. I will need to watch it again.
    It wasn't "after the stall". IIRC, it was after 6 hours or so, probably a bit before the stall I'd guess.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cazzy
    Options

cazzy said:I don't recall him saying he wrapped it after the stall. I recall him saying he wrapped when he felt it had enough smoke...and maybe how it looked. I will need to watch it again.

It wasn't "after the stall". IIRC, it was after 6 hours or so, probably a bit before the stall I'd guess.

That's what I meant...said it wrong...I tried it after the stall. Just knew it wasn't really specific when he did. It wasn't incredibly revealing....
  • PA Dutch Egger
    Options
    we were at Franklins BBQ place last October.  I have been a BBQ fan for last 8 years.  His brisket was the best we have ever had.  His ribs and pulled pork were great, but brisket was best ever.
  • Arbucklej
    Options
    starch seems interesting to me..that might work well?
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    FearlessTheEggNoob said:
    I'm probably going to try pulling the naked packer off the egg at 165-175 then finishing it up in the oven using a vented turkey oven bag.
    I did this (but without making vent holes in the bag) and it came out great!
    Gittin' there...