Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Taking bacon making to the next level

Options
I started to dabble in making bacon this past Fall. Started small to test my skills and curing recipe. Liked the bacon so well that I have stepped up my game. I decided that if I am going to make a mess that my lovely wife is so gracious to clean up, I may as well do a large amount as possible per "mess".

I have attached pics of my latest batch of shoulder bacon. Four pork butts, about 20 lbs pre-smoked, yielded 18.1 lbs in the end. I also had 7.5 lbs of trimmings from those butts that will be going into sausage. I had five larger slabs on the Egg in the pic. I had another five smaller slabs that I smoked the following day. I MIGHT have been able to get it all on with some creativity, but it was very cold those days and I wasn't about to experiment in that weather. You can see the snow around my Egg on my table.

My cure is a very simple recipe of Tenderquick and white sugar. I smoke with Hickory and vacuum pack the sliced bacon in 1 lb packages. We have four kids so this will go quicker than one might think!  :)

Comments