Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Food Safety-Cotronics and Rutland Gaskets

I tried to reply in the "Gaskets" thread, but for some reason, Vanilla won't let me post a reply there. Someone there mentioned that Cotronics gaskets were food safe. That is not the case. Well, it may be the case, but neither Cotronics nor Rutland claim that. Neither company has tested their products with regard to food safety. Just thought I should point that out for the squeamish among you. :)

That said, I love my Rutland. 

Articles from TNW...
Michael 
Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 7,986
    Also to be noted:

Rutland explicitly states that their materials should not be used around food. Cotronics makes no claim one way or another. Both cite that no study has been done to test this. I believe Rutland makes this claim to indemnify themselves from litigation.

Anecdotally, RRP has provided around 1000 Rutlands to people over the years and I have not heard of anyone dropping dead from it. So, there's that.
  • RickyBobbyRickyBobby Posts: 392
    Anecdotally, RRP has provided around 1000 Rutlands to people over the years and I have not heard of anyone dropping dead from it. So, there's that.
    .... at least we will know who is to blame when the plague strikes
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!!
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 6,713
    .... at least we will know who is to blame when the plague strikes 
    Oh, Ron's gonna LOVE that!  :))
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 4,996
    As far as ingesting fibers from a Rutland gasket is concerned, you would be amazed at the things that can pass through your GI tract if  nonabsorbable - light bulbs (even small broken ones), coins of all denominations, batteries, screws, nails, etc. I'm not worried about stray fibers from a Rutland gasket killing me, especially after its matted down with some grease after a few cooks.

Inhaling the fibers may be a slightly different matter, but I doubt you'll ever inhale enough of the fibers over the period it is used as a gasket to cause any harm. Unless you grind up the gasket and snort it. Then you're on your own. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • WylecyotWylecyot Posts: 78
    For what it's worth, I asked Naked Whiz which gasket he uses on a thread a few months ago.  I don't recall his exact reply, but he indicated his preference is the Rutland gasket.
  • gerhardkgerhardk Posts: 764
    I haven't used any gasket for a year or so and it works just dandy.

Gerhard
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,030
    gerhardk said:
    I haven't used any gasket for a year or so and it works just dandy.

Gerhard
    I went many years without and had no issues. I installed rutland on all of them this past summer and I'm saving a ton on lump after I put the fire out. That said I don't use the ceramic caps

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 6,713
    edited January 8
    That said I don't use the ceramic caps
    Huh? Do you just hold your hand over the top until the fire goes out?
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stlcharcoalstlcharcoal Posts: 815

I have never seen or used the Rutland gasket, but I can tell you that the fibers of the Cotronics gasket are fairly large and hold together quite well.  I have seen fiberglass that looked like it was snowing anytime you agitated it--not the woven ceramic.....that's why I went with the Cotronics.

With either gasket, I would recommend putting it ONLY on the bottom.  You don't need it on the top.  If either were to break down, the fibers would fall down onto the food.  The only argument for putting it on the top vs. the bottom is if you were to spill something on them.  No big deal, it doesn't absorb the grease, BBQ sauce, etc......just wipe it off with a wet dish towel.

I bought three rolls to meet the minimum order, so I have plenty if anyone needs any.  Email me.

Connect:  Website  -  Facebook  -  Twitter