Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

What's the coldest air temp you have ever cooked in?

tegid77tegid77 Posts: 7
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
I was thinking I would come home and cook steak on my LBGE but thought nah -10 would be too cold. So my coldest is 20 degree farenheit. What's everyone else's? Did you have anything crack?
·

Comments

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,320
    -36 C without the windchill

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,407
    Last winter I smoked a pork shoulder on a Saturday that was about 13 degrees.

Tonight, it's currently -2, and about -25 with the windchill. It was painful to pump gas nonetheless fire up the egg and cook something.
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,818
    -40ish but it wasn't on an egg. We did steaks direct on a webber.

LS, what the heck does -36c mean?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,912
    -40ish but it wasn't on an egg. We did steaks direct on a webber. LS, what the heck does -36c mean?
    Big inverted boobs...
    ·
  • Wow I am feeling like a wuss now
    ·
  • hapster said:

-40ish but it wasn't on an egg. We did steaks direct on a webber.

LS, what the heck does -36c mean?

Big inverted boobs...

Ha! @Hapster for the win!
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
    ·
  • -16 did wings. But I have bacon to do with the maze and I think it is to cold for that I thought maybe after the egg was warm but I still backed off. I drink beer real fast but if I set it down it was starting to freeze. That is when I know it is dam cold.

XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
    ·
  • daffy1909daffy1909 Posts: 454
    -40 just last nite did some side ribs! We'll worth it!!
    ·
  • -8° Right now. Cooking up some chicken with some Swamp Venom.
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,359
    edited January 2014
    I really have no idea, but I doubt it was colder than 0 to +10°. That said, I don't know why I would have done even that. I have an oven in a nice warm house and the food that comes out of it is delicious. The longer I own my egg, the less likely I am to brave any serious elements. I used to, but it got old fast. Rain is the worst. I will sometimes grill in the cold, but long ago gave up egging in the rain.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,290
    5 F. I did some ribs. Had a blast chilling next to the egg.
    ·
  • tjosbornetjosborne Posts: 422

somewhere in the single digits for me. I will brave the cold, but not in the wind. My wife can cook those nights.

middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
    ·
  • SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,272
    Around +50F here in So. FL, it was 'brutal', too! . . . 
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,106
    made these bread bowls one new years day at around minus 8 f, was ice fishing and playing pond hockey in a teeshirt while things were getting ready. was a really nice day, the ice was clear black and you could see and follow the salmon as they swam under the ice

lobster bisque wasnt bad either

·
  • insanehinsaneh Posts: 96
    -5 for me. So cold the guru fan froze up on me.
    Dead smack in the middle of NH
    ·
  • NsdexterNsdexter Posts: 149
    Probably into the low minus 30's celcius maybe a little chiller with wind but really at minus 20 it all feels the same.
    HFX NS
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,320
    -40ish but it wasn't on an egg. We did steaks direct on a webber. LS, what the heck does -36c mean?
    bout -40 ish

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Nsdexter said:
    Probably into the low minus 30's celcius maybe a little chiller with wind but really at minus 20 it all feels the same.
    Once it gets below 15 F or so it all feels the same to me, unless there is wind. That certainly changes things.
    ·
  • BBQmuduckBBQmuduck Posts: 12
    edited January 2014
    -40 f last night....... Rib eye w dry-rub & a glass of Surly Furious beer:)
    image.jpg 1.5M
    Smoke on!
    ·
  • GrillmagicGrillmagic Posts: 1,010

Did some Pork Chops last night and it was -8 with the wind chill at 25 below, it was so cold last night I heard a loud scratching on my front and it was the Christmas Tree trying to get back in the house.

·
  • michigan_jasonmichigan_jason Posts: 1,299
    edited January 2014
    I am thinkinf about baby backs today here in michigan, 0 degrees now, and -20 with wind chill. The egg can handle it though right? Im not worried about me, I have great coveralls that are still too warm in 0 degrees. Im concerned for the egg.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."

·
    I am thinkinf about baby backs today here in michigan, 0 degrees now, and -20 with wind chill. The egg can handle it though right? Im not worried about me, I have great coveralls that are still too warm in 0 degrees. Im concerned for the egg.
    Put the coveralls on the egg. Problem solved.
    ·
  • NsdexterNsdexter Posts: 149
    Nsdexter said:
    Once it gets below 15 F or so it all feels the same to me, unless there is wind. That certainly changes things.
    Yes it does, I'm still wind burnt from a blizzard on friday... now its sitting at a nice 1 degree.
    HFX NS
    ·
  • I am thinkinf about baby backs today here in michigan, 0 degrees now, and -20 with wind chill. The egg can handle it though right? Im not worried about me, I have great coveralls that are still too warm in 0 degrees. Im concerned for the egg.
    Put the coveralls on the egg. Problem solved.
    You win the thread.

-KCCO

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."

·
  • I cooked chicken on my swell new XLBGE last night in Atlanta.  My best X'mas present this year!  The temperature was in the single digits.  I'm still learning how to control the temperature.  Last night the egg varied between 350 and 400.  Cooked about 20 minutes and the bird was very moist and delicious.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,416
    Frank...start you a thread and introduce yourself.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·