Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New EggHead!

Options
Hi EggHeads.  I'm new to the board and look forward to learning a great deal about my new Large BGE.  My parents got me my egg for Christmas, and I've already built a table for it to sit in.  Pictures Attached.  I used cedar for the table and a piece of granite for the prep area.  I left room on the right side of the table to upgrade with another egg in the future if the need arises.  The picture you see of the table is while I was building it and the one with the egg in it, is mostly finished.  I was one cedar board short so I had to leave one off the bottom part of the table for now.  At any rate, here's what I have so far....

UTG

Comments

• Timvanee
    Options

Sweet! Looks like you built the whole thing yourself, or did you start out with a base?

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Welcome, nice looking table. I like the choice of cedar, it weathers very well. It is a good idea to isolate the table shelf from the egg bottom with a paver, it is an even better idea to introduce a small air gap between the egg and the paver. Does not have to ne huge, even 1/4" will keep the paver from conducting heat to the shelf on long cooks. Enjoy, and don't use those briquettes in that nice new egg!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Welcome from Marietta GA! Nice looking table
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • UTG
    UTG Posts: 4
    Options
    No, I built it all myself.
    Material list was:
    Two 4 X 4 X 8' Cedar
    Six 2 X 4 X 8' Cedar
    Ten 1 X 6 X 8' Cedar (needed eleven)
    Four 2 X 4 X 8' #2 Treated
    100 Stainless Steel 2.5" Kreg Pocket Hole Screws (didn't use them all)
    100 Stainless Steel 1.5" Kreg Pocket Hole Screws (these either)
    One polished piece of granite (24" wide X 26" deep)

In the picture of the table (on the bottom shelf), you can see how I doubled the 2 X 4's  The outside one cedar and the inside is #2 treated.  Everything was Kreg Pocket drilled and screwed, so no exposed holes.

And, thanks for the compliment!

UTG
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Congrats!  Nice table.  You can now put that Weber in the first picture up on Craigstlist!  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    nice job making the table it  appears that you didn't put wheels on it was that a oversight or you put them on after the photo ? 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • UTG
    Options
    jhl192 said:
    Congrats!  Nice table.  You can now put that Weber in the first picture up on Craigstlist!  
    LOL.  Nah,  My wife likes hot dogs too much to get ride of that...  I used the BGE Sunday morning for the first time.  Two racks of baby backs on at 7:00 and they were done after church for me and fired the Weber up and grilled her some hot dogs.  I've got a woman I will never get rid of....  LOL
  • UTG
    edited January 2014
    Options
    nice job making the table it  appears that you didn't put wheels on it was that a oversight or you put them on after the photo ? 
    Thanks.  

Nah, no wheels.  It's a stationary table.  I'm tearing down my deck and pouring a slab this spring.  Plan to do a "rustic" outdoor kitchen with a pergola, sink, outdoor refrigerator, hot boxes, etc...  Once I get it all done I don't plan on ever moving it.  Plus.  I have a forklift so if I need to move it for a short time, I'll just pick the whole thing up with it.

I do have rubber feet under it as a barrier to keep the wood from contacting concrete though.  You just can't see em in the picture.

UTG 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Welcome! Your table looks great!
    Flint, Michigan
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Hot dogs are better on the Egg.  Welcome!
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Lots of Marietta Eggers.  Welcome aboard from a fellow Marietta Egger!
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Nice job on the table! Welcome

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Welcome! I love my cedar table and having the granite flush with the front make cleaning/wiping much easier. Remember to post pictures of your finished outdoor kitchen.
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    another egg in the future if the need arises. 

I almost choked on my beer...@UTG. A year from now you'll look back and laugh at that.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN