Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Ovens......again !

Options
I am going to the flea market Saturday to buy a cast iron dutch oven. I am thinking about a 8-9 quart with legs and top that will hold charcoal (just in case I run across a recipe that requires charcoal on top. I would also like to buy a 5 quart that will stack on top of the ~8.

Other than the usual uniform metal thickness, handle clearance, checking for cracks or deep pitting.....is there anything else I should be aware of in my search ????

Does anyone have input on my thinking of the possibility of stacking when the need arises ??

I have searched the forum and other blogs , but I guess I am just looking for confirmation !!!!

I am new to the xlBGE and to dutch oven cooking.

LOVE MY XLBGE !!!!!!! 

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

Comments

• tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    My opinion, just get a legless one unless you want to camp with it. For egging set a legless one right on the platesetter or AR if you have one. Also, no lid, if you want any smoke getting onto your cook.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Options
    I had legs on 2 of my DO and ended up cutting then off. They got stuck in the grate. Also don't really need them when cooking directly on the coals.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options

Thanks, I appreciate the input.

I was worried about the leg/grate compatibility. I was going to take a couple measurements before I go Saturday.

As I am thinking of situations where I might stack two DOs, I may go with no legs on larger and legs on the smaller.

I guess it really isn't that important, I just wandered what others experienced !!

Thanks again,

Donnie

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    I bought the lodge 7 qt w/out legs from wally world. I love it. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    i use one with the legs in the egg, you can sit it on a pizza stone, in a pan to deflect heat, or on the spider from the ceramic grill store. dont set it on the grate. i would look for one cast iron and one enamelled cast iron, its good to have both types
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dldawes1
    Options
    Great idea of using a pizza stone for a DO w/ legs !!!!!!!! That would definately eliminate the grate/leg issue.

I don't understand why both types of DO would be good to have ??  I intend to get a 8-9 qt and a smaller 5 qt that I can stack on top. That would provide me with 2 cooking utensils.  But what am I missing on having 2 kinds of DO ????

Forgive my ignorance, but your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Donnie

• dldawes1
    Options

Great feedback, it is as always, greatly appreciated.

You're experience and knowledge of DO will help many more folks out here in the forum than just myself.

Right now, I am thinking that the leg/no leg choice will depend on what I find at what price !!!!!!  I like the idea of using a pizza stone , if the legs are not compatible with the grate.

All comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated and I look forward to learning more here in the forum !!!1

Now, on to my search for pizza stone information !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Dirtnaponhold,

Donnie

• drewmack
    Options
    Do you usually cook using the place setter?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I do for baking but not for chili or stew..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    Options
    Oh...I use the lid for baking
  • dldawes1
    Options

Well, I've read a million posts about which pizza stone to get.....

I hate to ask the question.....but...I'll ask it a different way !!!!

How do I decide which pizza stone to buy ??  There are so many stones, so many voices !!!!!!!

Do I again allow cost to make the decision ?????

Thanks again, in advance,

Donnie

• henapple
    Options
    No pampered chef...
  • dldawes1
    Options

That eliminates 1 !!!!!! I respect your advice....I've probably read about a million of your posts.

Hopefully, your egghead friends on here won't read this and give you a rough time :)  !!!!

Thanks again,

Donnie

• henapple
    Options
    Most of my post are me being sarcastic or my pitiful attempt at humor. I cook pizzas at 600 or so. Get a stone rated at 1000.
  • dldawes1
    Options
    You do a fine job....keep up the sarcasm/humor....we all need it  !!!!!!!

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    Get the thickest pizza stone you can find.  While I haven't had problems with the relatively thin pampered chef one (I usually keep pizza temps around 500), there are lots of posts about them breaking in the egg.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

And then this pops up.

Lodge Mfg P14P3 14" Cast Iron Pizza/Bake Pan

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • henapple
    Options
    I have that lodge pizza pan. I've used it once but it makes a great griddle.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    It's next for me.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • henapple
    Options
    I use it for fajitas and quesadillas a lot
  • dldawes1
    Options

My BGE dealer just told me $42.50 for 14" (l or xl) pizza stone.  Unless someone convinces me otherwise, I'll pick it up on Saturday.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.

• Tbonez3858
    Options
    I've heard the cast iron can leach and bad taste with anything with Tomato in it. Due to that I've been looking at the Lodge with enamel covering. I specifically want to cook spaghetti sauce and I dont want it to taste like a soup fit for Vampires. The enamel DO is good up to 500 degrees...

Anyone using one?
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    edited January 2014
    Options
    dldawes1 said:

My BGE dealer just told me $42.50 for 14" (l or xl) pizza stone.  Unless someone convinces me otherwise, I'll pick it up on Saturday.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.

It's exactly what I use and it's been great so far...probably a dozen cooks and a few times 700-800 accidental degrees... Even a few below zero to 600 in 30 min days
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    if you have an xl -  get the 18" - you won't be sorry...
  • Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    I've heard the cast iron can leach and bad taste with anything with Tomato in it. Due to that I've been looking at the Lodge with enamel covering. I specifically want to cook spaghetti sauce and I dont want it to taste like a soup fit for Vampires. The enamel DO is good up to 500 degrees...

Anyone using one
    What you have heard is correct the acid from tomato paste sauces  react on the iron surface, so you should use enamel for those types of sauces
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • dldawes1
    Options

@ONEDBGURU What brand and where did you purchase the 18" ???

I wanted 16-1/2" which was the largest I have seen.  But being a "scaredy cat" I stuck with the BGE !!!  (Buying another  18" is always an option later on).

Thanks in advance,

Donnie