Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Long smoke

Options
I am planning on doing my first brisket this weekend and was wondering about how long will the lump charcoal last filled to the top of the fire ring? Will I have to throw some more in there if its a long smoke?

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    What size Egg? I've gone 24 hours plus with a Large at 250 dome with lump left over. During the summer when ambient temp was higher than the current 3 degrees with a minus 20 wind chill.
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    What he said...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jsmoto01
    Options
    Thanks. I got a large and still trying to get the temp control down.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    Depends on what brand of charcoal also.   Some last much longer than others.  
    Cookin in Texas
  • sstripes96
    sstripes96 Posts: 152
    edited January 2014
    Options
    For Labor Day I did a 15lb packer brisket. I used Royal Oak (Red Bag) and filled it to the top of the fire ring. The brisket was on for 24 hours. I then did smoked Mac and Cheese for 4 more hours and still had lump left over. I got a total of 31 hours out of a full load at 250 degrees. This was in a Large.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • s_austin_egger
    Options
    I've never had to add charcoal for a single cook
    What kind of lump are you using?
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I had to add charcoal for the first time ever recently to my XL. I didn't fully load it to the max but it was pretty full probably 12-13 pounds of lump and I started losing temp after 22 hours. It was a 17 pound brisket though but I hate royal oak for long cooks. My regular low and slow lump fogo probably would have went 35 hours at the same level of lump.
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    I have gone 225 for 22 grs on my medium in the summer
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.