Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Preventing a freeze shut?

Options
Its been real cold here in CT for the past few weeks and MY XL BGE has been frozen shut. I have been having grilling withdrawal syndrome! GWS.   I tried a hair dryer, some firestarters and paper with no luck.  I did not try too hard because I did not want to damage the gasket.   Yesterday it went above freezing and today it is raining.  I was able to open it up.   Tomorrow it will be single digits again.  I have put a 1 1/2 degree taper on a long 1/2 piece of wood, wrapped it in wax paper and propped the top open. Then I covered the BGE with a tarp and bungeed it tight.  My question is this, does anyone have any better idea's to keep their BGE from freezing closed?  Does anyone see any worries with propping it open with a 2 inch wide, foot long stick?   
XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I wouldn't think so. ..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Just put foil in between the dome and lid and leave it shut. Shouldn't stick with that in there.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Can you rig up a light bulb on an extension cord and drop it through the top.  Then cover with a blanket/tarp?

An automotive trouble light would probably not fit, due to the cage surrounding it.   But you may find a light only socket at a home improvement store that you could splice onto a wire with a plug.

Surprising the heat that a bulb gives off.   Oh wait, we have new light bulbs, may or may not be beneficial.

Cookin in Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    boatbum said:

Can you rig up a light bulb on an extension cord and drop it through the top.  Then cover with a blanket/tarp?

An automotive trouble light would probably not fit, due to the cage surrounding it.   But you may find a light only socket at a home improvement store that you could splice onto a wire with a plug.

Look for a lamp rewiring kit and it should have a socket on a wire with a plug attached. 

I think one of those crazy Canucks on here (@Canugghead?) fabbed metal discs to place between the lid and dome to prevent them from freezing shut. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    A heat gun placed in the bottom door on low should do the trick to unthaw one if it gets stuck.  Mine froze shut under the cover  at Christmas.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I too live in CT and have never had my 4 year old large freeze up, whether I've used it every day for a week or haven't used it in three weeks. Rain, snow, freezing rain, below freezing temps, whatever. I wonder if it has anything to do with the gasket material. I've had a Rutland almost from the beginning and so far so good. I'm thinking it's because the Rutland is only installed on the base and doesn't freeze easily to bare ceramic. Have those of you with Rutlands noticed the same thing, or have I just been lucky?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jenericzac
    Options
    I had my first gasket freeze shut right after xmas. I had just put a brand new Nomex gasket on and had cooked a Turkey. Came out 2 days later and the lid was frozen shut. I built a fire in the bottom until I could open it. I think the newer Nomex sucks up alot of moisture.
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Tin foil or wax paper seems to work for me.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I too live in CT and have never had my 4 year old large freeze up, whether I've used it every day for a week or haven't used it in three weeks. Rain, snow, freezing rain, below freezing temps, whatever. I wonder if it has anything to do with the gasket material. I've had a Rutland almost from the beginning and so far so good. I'm thinking it's because the Rutland is only installed on the base and doesn't freeze easily to bare ceramic. Have those of you with Rutlands noticed the same thing, or have I just been lucky?

We just had a terrible ice storm. I went out and bought a newspaper cause I was sure it would be frozen shut. No issue at all with the Rutland. Didn't think about that being the reason until I saw your post.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I've had some issues lately with the lower door being frozen shut...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    Options
    My suggestion is to move to California. ;)
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    +3 on the foil, wax should work as well idk for sure though.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    I've had some issues lately with the lower door being frozen shut...
    This happened to me tonight. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    You know thinking about it have any of you done the dollar bill test? My egg was great everywhere except by the hinges, just ok there. The back half or so is  the only place that freezes on mine, coincidence?
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    I put tin foil between the base and dome and that works for me 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    If already frozen light a starter cube & drop it down into the egg where the dfmt, or rain sits. Should do the job.
  • insaneh
    insaneh Posts: 112
    Options
    I let it go out and then stick 1/8 shim to keep it open just a hair.
    My dealer told me this trick. Well, he said screw driver, but I'm a
    machinist and that seemed a tad crude.
    Works like champ.
    Dead smack in the middle of NH
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options

I like the wood shim idea myself.  I'll have them ready before tonight. Too bad my lid is probably already frozen shut again right now !!!

I appreciate everyone's great input for our questions.

Thanks,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options

Michael, I have never had the experience of any on mine freezing because I cover my eggs. OTOH your reasoning makes sense. The Rutland is not going to absorb water so while water may freeze on the surface it really isn't going to attach itself (the ice) to the naked edge of the dome either. Can't say as I've ever read anyone who eggs commando having a freeze up problem either! Good Thinking!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    I had it freeze once.  Wax paper kept it from freezing after that incident.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • Carolina Q
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Gregg, what kind of gasket? Since you just got the egg, I assume the OEM junk?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    Options
    My dome wasn't froze shut , but the bottom vent was. Had to heat it with a torch every time I wanted to adjust it.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    fairchase said:
    My dome wasn't froze shut , but the bottom vent was. Had to heat it with a torch every time I wanted to adjust it.
    You might stick a screwdriver into the track and twist it a bit to open it up a little. Not much though. Dunno for sure though, I've never heard of that happening.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    You are correct sir the gray stuff that came with the Egg.  I am happy to say that I got some Rutland headed my way thanks to RRP.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    My done has frozen shut with the Rutland. I used a heat gun around the outside edge.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Move to a warmer climate, shouldn't freeze then.
  • MacKay52
    Options
    Mine freezes shut frequently. I usually fire a weedburner into the bottom vent until the remaining charcoal lights.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    You are correct sir the gray stuff that came with the Egg.  I am happy to say that I got some Rutland headed my way thanks to RRP.
    And not a moment too soon!! :) Took me two months or less to trash the OEM gasket. Rutland ever since.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    MacKay52 said:
    Mine freezes shut frequently. I usually fire a weedburner into the bottom vent until the remaining charcoal lights.
    You're more gutsy than I would be! Applying an excessive external blast of heat like you just described is asking for trouble IMO.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.