Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cast iron grate

Options
Is there a difference using a cast iron grate vs the original grate that came with my egg?  Is it worth the 44 bucks ? I have a medium egg.
Jefferson .GA.  
Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I like using the cast iron for searing steaks and lamb chops.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Will it also fit on the woo?
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I have an 18" that I use on my XL with the Woo.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    I'm thinking a woo and a cast iron grate maybe a nice upgrade. Is there a better place than another to get a cast iron grate at ?
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    If you want to use a cast iron grate on a Woo, you should get a Woo without handles as the cast iron won't sit on a Woo with handles.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    I really like meatloaf done on the CI grate.  Set it with the flat side of the bars up and the loaf will not fall through like on the SS grate and it gets very nice smoke flavor.  No pan or foil needed.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Who sells the cast grates??
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I think you're pretty much stuck with the BGE grid. Craycort and Music City Metals make grids but I don't think they make medium grid. When I had my medium, I could never find anything but BGE grids. In terms of price, 44 bucks is actually right in line with aftermarket manufacturers.
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    I use the cast iron grid for the small with the spider on my large to lower the grid closer to the lump. I like it.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Had three for each of the a Eggs and gave them away. The only reason to use is the "marks" on meat. They are very heavy and if you need to move them a "PIA" to set down. I will stay with SS from now own. Now that is not to be confused with a griddle. That is where to put your money. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• laserdoc85
    Options
    If you had to pick one first would you go with a woo
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    When I bought my second L, it was a demo and it came with a cast iron grate instead of a stainless. It works well but I think I still prefer the stainless grate for most cooks. It's just easier to move around during cooks.  I also have a small cast iron grate that I use on the spider for searing. I prefer to use the spider set up.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    If you had to pick one first would you go with a woo

I would absolutely choose a Woo before a CI grid. I use my Woo far more often than my cast iron grid.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    +1 with mickey. I like the crust I get on a griddle/skillet than with CI grates. The CI is pretty, but that's about it.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Buy the WOO first.
    You can use the BGE Cast Iron cooking grid with the WOO but you will need to ask Tom not to weld the lift handles to the unit. Only bad part is that it will slide around but you could add a bolt or 2 to keep it in place on the WOO. The standard grids will fit perfect and the WOO ring will will hold them in place.
    My WOOs all sit above felt line so it's not a problem to grab, lift, rotate or remove with gloves.
    I also like not having the handle for a couple reasons. I prefer to rotate my my cooking grid on the WOO, not rotate the entire WOO. Tom also welded 3 SS nuts onto the lower ring. With this added you can add 3 SS carriage bolts and use them to adjust your cooking level. They work like extension legs that you can adjust. The round end of the bolt rests on the fire ring. This was another great design of Tom's. W/O handles I can extend the WOO higher in the dome.
    A WOO and a good pizza stone or indirect piece like cast iron plate or SS drip pan and you are set.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas