Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar planked maple syrup & ghee basted salmon

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,528
edited December 2013 in Seafood
Braved bone-chilling cold and made salmon for dinner tonight ... skinless salmon on cedar fence board lined with lemon slices, light sprinkle of DP Raging River rub.  Made the mistake of dumping bottom of lump bag (full of tiny pieces and dust), couldn't get temp above 300 initially but temp steadily climbed to 400 when salmon reached 140 IT, basted with maple syrup and home made ghee... 

served with stir fried rapini, garlic herb potato, mango salsa and chopped avocado ...

Merry Christmas to all my forum friends!
canuckland

Comments

• bountifulranch
    Options
    We cook salmon on the planks all the time.  I always use the same seasoning as you too but next time I'll do what you do and line the "olive oil coasted" plants with lemon (that is what you did, right?) and base with maple syrup.  That sounds yummy!   What is stir fried rapini?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Lovely plate!  Basting with ghee sounds oh so  good :) 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Looks great... What is ghee?
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Clarified butter that is cooked until it gets a nutty flavor. It's an Indian thing. It keeps without refrigeration.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    Looks delicious, we have smoked salmon a couple of times and like it as well.  

Weather is giving Newfoundland a real hard time this weekend, hope you are keeping warm.

Gerhard
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited January 2014
    Options
    @bountifulranch  Thanks for bringing this thread back from the ashes, I totally forgot about it. The plank was lined with lemon slices only, no oil, the 'oil' you see is maple syrup and ghee baste that dripped from the fish (hope that answers your question). Rapini is green leafy veg, we simply sauteed some garlic in the wok, added the green, salt and drizzle of water, stirred and covered a few times until al dante.

@caliking  Avoided butter this time because a kid from college can't tolerate butter/dairy.

Little Steven said, it's crazy good but watch your heart ;)

@gerhardk After cooking half a day on Jan 2, I'm hibernating for a while ... did a boneless leg of lamb in the kitchen box tonight! Stay safe!
    canuckland