Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pumpkin Seeds

Daddy Pat
Daddy Pat Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just finished carving a spooky pumpkin and have plenty pumpkin seeds on hand. Does anyone have any cool recipes for pumpkin seeds that they would like to share. Thanks and have a super trick or treat day...Daddy Pat

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Daddy Pat, I haven't tried it but here is the basic recipe:[p]Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Don't throw out the seeds when making Jack-O-Lanterns or cooking fresh pumpkins, they make great snacks that are rich in fiber as well as vitamins B and E. Kids especially love them. Purists will want only salt as a seasoning, but if you're feeling adventurous, experiment and have fun with seasoning blends. [p]Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups pumpkin seeds
    2 tsp melted butter or oil (olive oil or vegetable oil work well)
    salt to taste
    Options To Taste:
    garlic powder
    cayenne pepper
    seasoning salt
    Cajun seasoning blend [p]Procedure
    1 Preheat BGE to 300° F and set up for an indirect cook.
    2 While it's O.K. to leave some strings and pulp on your seeds (it adds flavor), clean off any major chunks.
    3 Toss pumpkin seeds in a bowl with the melted butter or oil and seasonings of your choice.
    4 Spread pumpkin seeds in a single layer on sheet of foil or in an aluminum pan on top of EGGsetter, pizza stone, or firebricks.
    5 Bake for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
    Recipe Source
    Source: based on recipe from Cheri Sicard

[p]

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    I did a bit more searching and revised the recipe as follows:[p]Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
    Don't throw out the seeds when making Jack-O-Lanterns or cooking fresh pumpkins, they make great snacks that are rich in fiber as well as vitamins B and E. Kids especially love them. Purists will want only salt as a seasoning, but if you're feeling adventurous, experiment and have fun with seasoning blends. [p]Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups pumpkin seeds
    2 tsp melted butter or oil (olive oil or vegetable oil work well)
    salt to taste
    Options To Taste:
    garlic powder
    cayenne pepper
    seasoning salt
    Cajun seasoning blend

Procedure
    Preparation:
    1 Rinse pumpkin seeds. Use your fingers to remove all the pulp. Drain pumpkin seeds and discard pulp. Spread out on paper towels to dry overnight.
    2 While it's O.K. to leave some strings and pulp on your seeds (it adds flavor), clean off any major chunks.
    3 Preheat BGE to 300° F and set up for an indirect cook.
    Cooking:
    1 Toss pumpkin seeds in a bowl with the melted butter or oil and seasonings of your choice.
    2 Spread pumpkin seeds in a single layer in an aluminum pan lined with non-stick foil (unless you don't mind the cleanup).
    3 Bake for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
    4 Cool pumpkin seeds before eating. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 months or refrigerate up to 1 year.
    Notes:
    1 If you like your toasted pumpkin seeds extra-salty, soak overnight in a solution of 1/4 cup salt to 2 cups of water. Dry an additional day, then proceed as above.
    2 Pumpkin seeds are also known as pepitas.

Recipe Source: based on recipes from Cheri Sicard and Peggy Trowbridge

[p]

• Daddy Pat,[p]I like to make a really saturated brine (Egg floating strong). Say in like a 3 quart or bigger pot, then I add some worstershire in the brine. Then I actually boil the seeds to get the salt into them. You will know when the salt is penetrated, the seeds float and kinda change color (they get darker). That takes like 20 - 30 minutes or so. Then I pull them out and spread them to let them cool and dry a little. Next they go into a ziplock bag for another layer of seasoning. I normally uses season salt and more worstershire. Onto a baking sheet in a single layer then really low oven (or EGG) @ 250ish until cooked to your taste.[p]I think this would easily be converted to the egg, as well as using any number of spices in the seasoning processes.[p]Eggecutioner

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Daddy Pat,[p]I plan on doing some seeds tonight. Here is a link about how I did them last year. It also has a couple other posts with other great ideas. Have fun and enjoy![p]Steve-B
    [ul][li]My Pumpkin Seeds from last year[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Steve-B,
    Dizzy Pig Raging River is great on Pumpkin seeds.
    R&J