Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Low Can You Go?

How low of a temp can you maintain with the BGE? I have a stoker but have never tried it, now that I am smoking sausage looking at some serious low and slow. 

Large BGE
Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I have heard the Stoker can maintain a fire as low as 150. I haven't tried holding a fire that low but have held 175-180 before with my Stoker. Good to see some more Brethren here!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Pa_BBQ
    Pa_BBQ Posts: 132
    When I say I have never tried it, I should have said tried it at lower than 225, I use it often at that temp or higher. 
    Large BGE
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • I did 140-160 for several hours without any mechanical aid. Just use very little lump and you should be okay,
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited January 2014
    I do 200 F cooking grate often. Have not had a need to try lower.
    Alan in LA (Lower Alabama that is)
    "If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!" 
  • I'm anxious to figure this out myself. I have been slowly obtaining everything I need to start making batches of Jerky on my XL. I have a PitMasterIQ120 on its way and I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to maintain a fire @ 150-160 degrees for 8 hours with its assistance. I'd imagine building your fire properly has A LOT to do with whether or not these low temps are obtainable.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    I'm anxious to figure this out myself. I have been slowly obtaining everything I need to start making batches of Jerky on my XL. I have a PitMasterIQ120 on its way and I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to maintain a fire @ 150-160 degrees for 8 hours with its assistance. I'd imagine building your fire properly has A LOT to do with whether or not these low temps are obtainable.
    I have an IQ120 and have cooked 12+ hours at 175 without issue. Have not tried lower yet
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I've held the XL at about 175 for several hours doing smoke salmon, but also had it go out once down that low.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Pa_BBQ
    Pa_BBQ Posts: 132
    I've held the XL at about 175 for several hours doing smoke salmon, but also had it go out once down that low.
    Were you using some type of draft unit like a guru or stoker?
    Large BGE
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • I've held the XL at about 175 for several hours doing smoke salmon, but also had it go out once down that low.

Was this with or without a temp controller?
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    I've run 145 - 160 for several hours w/o a stoker while doing salmon. Gotta keep an eye on it without a stoker.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I've been able to hold 140 for an hour with the Flame Boss before ramping it up to 150 for an hour, then 160 for an hour and going up 10 degrees every hour until 180 or 190. With the Auber, I struggled to hold the low temps, it would keep slowly increasing on me little bit by little bit.

I've found the best way is to have some already used lump in your Egg (so you don't hvae to worry about VOCs). Light 2-4 good sized chunks outside of the Egg (I use my Mini) and then transfer them over to your large. The already lit chunks will slowly burn and slowly light the lump touching them.

Here's my last batch. 15lbs of venison jalapeno cheese sausage.Took 7 hours to reach 155 after I bumped it to 200 (was running short on time)image

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings