Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The butts before the storm....

Options
Figured I'd better get 'em going before we get slammed with the big snowstorm and cold later this weekend here in Indy.  Rubbed them with mustard and Dizzy Dust and put 4 apple wood chunks on the fire.  First time doing the butts when it's this cold, so we'll see how it goes.  I'll be all set for pulled pork for the Colts and IU Hoosiers games tomorrow afternoon and Pacers tomorrow night.  Go Hoosiers! Go Colts! Go Pacers!

XL, LBGE, Adjustable Rig
Shelbyville, IN

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Nothin like an egg full of pork goodness!! Looks like you have some pre storm on your deck. Where you located? We are supposed to get about 6-9" on Sunday so i am thinkin its prolly brisket time. I dont know why but it seams like snow brings out the low n slow in all da eggers.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Nothin like an egg full of pork goodness!! Looks like you have some pre storm on your deck. Where you located? We are supposed to get about 6-9" on Sunday so i am thinkin its prolly brisket time. I dont know why but it seams like snow brings out the low n slow in all da eggers.

Damn skippy. Nothing like chillin' by the egg in the snow.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    I am sure y'all deal with the "why do you think you need to do that in the snow"!! So what is your answer? Mine is" you wouldn't understand if I told you".

analyze adapt overcome

• Scottyboy
    Options
    Yep, we had 5" a day or 2 ago and are expecting another 8"-13" on Sunday with lots of wind.  I'm about 15 miles east of Indianapolis.  Just wish I could handle sitting out with the butts all night with a beer that never gets warm.
    XL, LBGE, Adjustable Rig
    Shelbyville, IN
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    I know what you mean about beer not getting warm, today I picked up a hot 30pack, put it in the bed of my truck and it was totally drinkable 20mins later when I got home. Pretty nice!!

analyze adapt overcome

• nick_banich
    Options
    I loaded up on meat at Meijer tonight - a Thank you for letting me watch the Colts once I get back from Assembly tomorrow. Realized today the best part of the egg is that if the power goes out we are still going to be eating like it's July
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• Scottyboy
    Options

I loaded up on meat at Meijer tonight - a Thank you for letting me watch the Colts once I get back from Assembly tomorrow. Realized today the best part of the egg is that if the power goes out we are still going to be eating like it's July
    Smells like summer outside right now!

Hope IU  cuts down on the turnovers tomorrow.  My son is a junior down there now (he's still home on break) and I'm IU class of '85 (geeky physics/astrophysics major).  Here's some IU memories of last year that I shot for our local paper:

http://www.scottrichardsonphotography.com/2013/01/19/iu-florida-atlantic-12-21-12-2/

http://www.scottrichardsonphotography.com/2012/12/29/iu-jacksonville-basketball-12-28-12/

http://www.scottrichardsonphotography.com/2012/10/22/iu-hoosier-hysteria-events-10-20-12/

XL, LBGE, Adjustable Rig
    Shelbyville, IN
  • nick_banich
    Options
    I like the photos. May want to get some prints for the house for my wife's bday in May. She loved Vic. I graduated in '10 from the B-School. Grew up out your way in New Pal.

I'd trade places with your son in a heartbeat. Best time of my life down there.
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• Scottyboy
    Scottyboy Posts: 40
    edited January 2014
    Options

I like the photos. May want to get some prints for the house for my wife's bday in May. She loved Vic. I graduated in '10 from the B-School. Grew up out your way in New Pal. I'd trade places with your son in a heartbeat. Best time of my life down there.
    Thanks!  No kidding...still have 1 kid in high school who's a junior at New Pal.  Agreed....best 4 years of my life as well....3 years partying in Wright Quad and one year off campus in a house right across the street from Forest Quad (back when it was all girls!).  Can't believe Forest is coed now...my son lives there on an honors floor....no urinals in the bathrooms!
    XL, LBGE, Adjustable Rig
    Shelbyville, IN
  • Scottyboy
    Options
    I had some problems holding temp early this morning so the cook ended up being very low and very slow.  Finally gave it a bit more air to get the temp up and pushed it on through...17 hours total, but worth the wait....also had some brews to make the wait just that much more pleasurable!

XL, LBGE, Adjustable Rig
    Shelbyville, IN
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Lookin good. Beam me up, Scotty!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Scottyboy
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    Lookin good. Beam me up, Scotty!
    Ha!  That's what my dad used to say to me when he needed another Jim Beam and Coke!
    XL, LBGE, Adjustable Rig
    Shelbyville, IN
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Wright quad, 4 years! (Nerd! :) )

I was in disco Briscoe freshman year, then an apartment off the bypass, then on Kirkwood next to la bombas, then on second street where I met swmbo. I was a physics nerd...almost. flunked out 3 times and ended up transferring to the devil (purdue, but couldn't go to w. Lafayette, went to iupui) for a ee degree.

My dad is a prof at iu, and my kids are thinking of going. Between my family and in laws, over 8 iu grads (I'm not included).

That campus is the prettiest one there is..nothing compares.

Go iu!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • NautiRogue
    Options

Ha!  Well, it seems that we had the same thought, Scotty!  My wife went to Sam's Club on 96th Street here in Indy yesterday to stock up for the storm.  She came back with 12 pounds of Pork Butt for me to throw on the grill and 2.5 pounds of Salmon for tomorrow since it's looking like I'll be working from home.

The pork went on the pit this morning at 11:00, 225 dome.  I didn't get it prepped last night, so I just started the fire to get it stabilized, pulled the meat out of the refrigerator this morning, rubbed it, injected it, and threw it on the pit.

Not much snow at 11:00 this morning, but it's definitely coming down.  Some of these flakes are so big that they're closer to snowballs!

• NautiRogue
    Options
    BTW, Scotty, that looks like a nice table you have for your EGG!