Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza stone better than what BGE has to offer?

Options
Darnoc
Darnoc Posts: 2,661
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Being a pizza fanatic I recently saw a soapstone unit from All-clad that is priced at $100.00 have any of you used this stone?Is it worth the extra cash outlay?It does have a fancy serving platter and cutter which I can do without .Any comments?Thanks.

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Yeah, stick with the BGE version.
  • hiloboy
    hiloboy Posts: 75
    Options
    i have never heard of that stone it may last or it my not.. for me after trying 2 name brand pizza stones and then opening up my egg to find them in piece.. :( i ordered a BGE stone.. to me it works the best in the egg.. just my 2 cents
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    soap stone will hold up in the egg, but it is soft and if you use the pizza cutter on it it will scratch, but it sands smooth easily. it is the best material available for heat retention but it takes a long time to heat up to temp. also it is not porous so i have questions about how the dough would react. the local soapsone outfit sells them but i have not pulled the trigger yet. i decided i should get better at pizza, the tried and true way , before i bought any more egg toys.
    bill
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I hate to admit it but I've been using a Primo pizza stone. It's 15 1/2", it fits perfect on my Lg BGE. It's thick and durable, easy to clean because it has a slick glossy side. I know that Primo is our big rival but I have to say , I have BGE pizza stone and a Primo pizza stone. I like the Primo stone much better.

Here it is in action: ( this is my first attemp at posting a photo on the "new" forum, hope it works)
    BGEphotos069.jpg
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Thank you for the tip.There is an old timer on the forum that when he will post a picture of pizza it is on a soap stone.I think it might be AZRP.Just might have to ping him.
  • nysportsfan
    Options
    I know this is an old thread but I've been reading and cannot find much on the All Clad soapstone. I asked for a high temp pizza stone but received this instead. It's beautiful but says the high temps is 450. I've heard soapstone is durable, though, and people can get them up to high temps. Has anyone used one? It's expensive so perhaps I should bring it back and just get the BGE one? It's an Xmas gift so I would feel bad but family would understand. I don't want this breaking if I use it at 600+...
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    I have a soapstone pot I routinely use to cook bread at 500. This is rock, not some manufactured product. It came from the heated minerals crushed together at tectonic plates. I think it will be ok at 600-800 degrees
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    Oh, and the stone needs oil coating much lke cast iron. It will turn it dark green but give it a nonstick finish. Heat it to 300is and coat it in veg oil. Cool, wipe off excess, repeat
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I second bge stone is damn good quality.
    Seattle, WA
  • nysportsfan
    Options
    Thanks, flemster. The more I read about it's uses, the more I am likely to keep it. It's non porous, right? It also hold cold temps really well so you can use to keep things cold? I've read you can use it as a hot plate for food too. Which is ideal if you need a warm surface for a long time since it retains it so well. Plus, it does not have an odor. Might just buy a BGE stone too, ha.
  • oakdaleegger
    Options
    I use a Weber stone. Paid about $30-$40. Works great!
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Think about the Baking Steel product.  Love mine and it can be used for many other things besides pizza.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Timbo66
    Timbo66 Posts: 109
    Options
    Used my Egg stone yesterday for the first time and the pizza turned out great.
    Large Egg, Warner Robins,Ga