Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook on the new XL... 60lbs of pork!!!

Options
jtippers
jtippers Posts: 512
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
I wanted to break in "big Bertha" right... so I got several of my family members to purchase boston butts and allow me to cook them. I ended up with 7 butts all right at 8.5lbs (some were a little more). Put them on tonight rubbed with yellow mustard and BBBR... Cooking at 250 with the DigiQ, so I am hoping they finish tomorrow evening. This was one heavy AR. I loaded it up in the kitchen then carried the whole thing to the egg.

I'll post pics when finished!

SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

Comments

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    What a great maiden voyage! Congrats. Good luck
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Loosemoose
    Options
    You jumped into that thing with both feet! Awesome first cook in it!
    Nowhere Indiana
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    damn.... how big is your family?!?!?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • roblew
    roblew Posts: 78
    Options
    Wow that is awesome. Great first cook.
    Ringgold GA LBGE
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    jtippers said:
    I wanted to break in "big Bertha" right... so I got several of my family members to purchase boston butts and allow me to cook them. I ended up with 7 butts all right at 8.5lbs (some were a little more). Put them on tonight rubbed with yellow mustard and BBBR... Cooking at 250 with the DigiQ, so I am hoping they finish tomorrow evening. This was one heavy AR. I loaded it up in the kitchen then carried the whole thing to the egg.

I'll post pics when finished!

I believe the lesson here is "I got several of my family members to purchase boston butts and allow me to cook them"

I wish I was that smart.

Great looking butts.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    I'm assuming your family enjoys Pulled Pork
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice way to break in the XL! I would love to find a reason to do that much at once.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Great way to break in a new Egg! :-bd
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    That's one way to break in a XL.  Enjoy the fruits of your labor!!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Nice job! I pulled the same stunt with my first butt cook on my XL, only did 4 though.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    Spin your Adjustable Rig 180degrees so that vertical center brace is to the back of the grill & it doesn't get in your way. This will also be necessary when doing cooks where you slide the racks/grates in and out.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Scottyboy
    Options
    Holy butts, Batman!   Can't imagine pulling that many butts...my hands got tired today just pulling two of 'em.  Nice cook...gotta get me an XL someday.
    XL, LBGE, Adjustable Rig
    Shelbyville, IN
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    You might need one of these to pull that much pork.
    http://www.porkpuller.com
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Scottyboy
    Options
    DMW said:
    You might need one of these to pull that much pork. http://www.porkpuller.com
    There. You. Go.  !!   Gotta get one now!

XL, LBGE, Adjustable Rig
    Shelbyville, IN
  • dstrbd488
    Options
    DMW said:
    You might need one of these to pull that http://www.porkpuller.com
    I on another site somewhere where someone bought a cast iron floor drain grate, some bolts, and a piece of all thread to make one of those types of pullers
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Wow, what an impressive maiden voyage ... now tell your folks they need a bag of lump to redeem each cooked butt  :))
    canuckland
  • Alphonse
    Options
    Looking forward to seeing the result. Assuming you are doing indirect, couldn't tell from the photo.
    Alan in LA (Lower Alabama that is)
    "If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!" 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    That's a beautiful sight.

Check to make sure that the dome thermo isn't getting pushed into the meat when closing the lid.  Just an FYI from my experience.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• jtippers
    Options
    Update:

It ran out of charcoal sometime between 6 & 9 this morning. I had filled it up to the top of the fire ring last night, so I wasn't expecting that. The meat was at 158 IT when I found it, so I filled it back up and re-lit. Now we're cooking again...

• chainsaw19
    Options
    Seems odd, what kind of lump are you using?
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • jtippers
    Options
    Royal Oak

• Loosemoose
    Options
    jtippers said:

Royal Oak

This is exactly what I used and a full load burned for 6 hours when I did my last brisket. They were tiny pieces and I knew I was screwed from the get go!
    Nowhere Indiana