Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Spatchcock Chicken

Options
Trying my first spatchcocked chicken tonight.  Rinsed, cut out the backbone, pushed down (breast up), dried, seasoned w/ Butt Rub, onion & garlic powder, a little brown sugar, and some salt and pepper.  Set is indirect, drip pan w/ Guinness, some cherry chips, 350 dome temp until we're 160ish breast… i'm guessing 1.5 hours.  I'll keep you posted.
South Florida - Large BGE (DOB:  12/07/2013)

Comments

• FaceDance
    FaceDance Posts: 289
    Options
    One hour and thirty six minutes later…

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Welcome aboard - hope it tastes as good as it looks.  Nice cook.
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    edited January 2014
    Options
    WOW! looks great! I cook mine at 400 direct and it takes exactly one hour! I guess that 50 degrees makes the difference. if you have any Dizzy Pig Cow Lick try that as a season. I rub a little EVOO and then coat with Cow Lick and man it is awesome!!

I am sorry I just saw where you did it indirect....that would make a lot of difference. try it direct at 400 with a drip pan and would cut the 30 min.
    Brandon, MS
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Nice..Welcome
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • EggoMatic
    EggoMatic Posts: 130
    Options
    Nice bird you got there!
    LBGE Virginia Beach, Virginia
  • FaceDance
    FaceDance Posts: 289
    Options
    Cooked to perfection… very moist, flavorful, and with a hint of smoke.  Skin was not great… does EVOO or some fat help with that?  Or is it because i went indirect?
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    I do it the same way just about every time and the skin comes out pretty good! the direct might contribute to that! try it one time and see if it works for you! Good Luck1 
    Brandon, MS
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I'm going to try my first INDIRECT spatchcock next week (chickens are on sale) and I'm wondering about the skin too. Doing it direct has always produced such crispy skin.

FWIW, I discovered that turning the legs OUTWARD so they are a little farther from the body ensures that I won't have that undercooked pink meat next to the leg and thigh bones. I think the heat reaches places that weren't exposed to enough heat before.
    Judy in San Diego
  • GoVols
    GoVols Posts: 216
    Options
    Great looking bird.
    Tim Rickman,Tn.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    @lovetheegg, if you say direct with drip pan, are you using a raised grate with drip pan on lower grate?
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Direct means no drip pan, the food is exposed to the burning lump, raised means at the felt line. (At least some distance above the fire ring)
    Meat on the upper or felt line grid with a drip pan on a lower grid is an indirect set up, one which will prolly burn anything in the pan, but still an indirect set up. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • coffeeguydenton
    Options
    "Direct with drip pan" is indirect. The skin isn't exposed to the direct heat, anyways, so direct vs indirect shouldn't make much difference with skin. I do find I get crispier skin with indirect when it's high in the dome, though. It gets a nice current of hot air flowing across the top of it that way. I have not done spatchcocked ( doing my first today), so I am basing this on experience with legs, thighs, and wings. When using my AR, the top rack gets noticeably crispier than the middle rack, though.
    Justin in Denton, TX