Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Inconsistent results with ribs

Ribs are one of my favorite things to cook, but I keep getting inconsistent results even when using the same method.  Anyone else experience the same?

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    What's your method? BBs or spares?

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Cooking times will vary slightly depending on how they were trimmed, amount of meat etc. Otherwise if the heat stays consistent you should be getting consistent results. What's you method?

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• I've been cooking BB's usually from Sam's (3-pack) or from Fresh Market.  I cook on a rib rack at 265-275* dome temp for  3 hrs.  Pull off and wrap in foil with some beer in the foil for 1 more hour.  Pull, place bone side down and sauce them for about 30-45 mins.  They have been both phenomenal and marginal using this same method.
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    I am no expert but that seems like a little too long at that temp when using foil.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I just don't foil. I also prefer doing St Louis spare ribs.  Love them, get very consisktenet results..
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Thanks for the suggestions!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited January 2014
    Really, next time you make some ribs, just throw them on your egg and let them go till their done.  I no longer do BB and now prefer STL cut.

My approach and results with this method can be found here:

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Chris_Wang
    edited January 2014
    Good luck!  I guess @jrj3rd didn't understand my question.  Sorry jrj.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I like BB because they are less fatty. I've tried virtually all the methods but hate the fuss of foiling. I've settled on three hours at 325 dome and they come out great every time. I get my meat from a butcher, so maybe your issue is tied to quality.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I only do Turbo and in less than 2 hours have the same BB's. No foil. Yesterday. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239

Cooking times will vary slightly depending on how they were trimmed, amount of meat etc.
    I get my ribs, both BBs and spares from several sources, including Amish and organic producers. The size, weight, and amount of fat can vary significantly from more standardized commodity pork.

I sometimes weigh the slabs before Eggin' them to get a better time estimate.

Otherwise, my method is pretty simple. While I've been experimenting w. "turbo" methods, my usual method is dome 250 - 275, slabs flat at felt level. For average size, I check BBs around 4 hours, spares at 5 for bendability. Perhaps mop, check again in 1/2 hour. When they pass the bend test, time to eat.

Lighter or heavier than average will go faster or slower.

FWIW, most recipes aren't terribly exact. While "molecular gastronomy" recipes really are formulas, and are very precise, standard cooking directions are just averages. It helps to check the food by smell and taste, etc. to find out how the cooking is going.
  • Chris_Wang
    The ribs @cazzy did last year were the best I've ever seen. I would loved to have tried one.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback!
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223

Whatever method you choose take copious notes and then make small adjustments along the way. Jumping from turbo to 3-2-1 to a low and slow for 5 hours will only make it harder to perfect your own personal method. Get yourself a food diary and make note of things like rack weight, perpetration, cooking temperature and cooking time. As soon as you’re finished eating, note what you liked and disliked while it’s fresh in your memory. Do this for a couple cooks and you will have a baseline from which you can branch out and experiment with. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I like spares, sometimes trimmed to STL, but not always. I'm lazy so I don't mop or anything. Rub them, throw them on at about 300ish, and let it go for about 3 hours. I used a water pan the last time I made some, and they were the best I've made yet in my opinion.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.