Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Got one on the front page-! Grilling the perfect steak

Maybe not the perfect method of cooking a steak for everyone, but I submitted an article to a Canadian Mens mag on my version of the reverse sear and it ran today!

A personal milestone for me that would not have happened without my trusty green side kick!  Link is below if you care to read my drivel-

·

Comments

• SPRIGSSPRIGS Posts: 214
    Very cool! Congrats on the article. Steal looks fantastic!!
    ·
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 997
    Nice!!  You're famous now!!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

·
  • Chris_WangChris_Wang Posts: 1,253
    Sweet

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

·
  • tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    Congrats. Nice article.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,062
    Congrats!   :-bd

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • pineypiney Posts: 514
    Congrats!!
    Lenoir, N.C.
    ·
  • Congrats!  Nice article.
    Simi Valley, California
    ·
  • EggNorthEggNorth Posts: 497
    Great article ... I did a reverse sear a while back and did not notice a difference in taste, maybe will try again.
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    LBGE (2010)
    ·
  • DMWDMW Posts: 6,398
    Nice job getting published!
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    ·
  • mokadirmokadir Posts: 114
    Very nice.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
    ·
  • Nice to be published!

·
  • nemonemo Posts: 103
    Good article…will try your method next steak cook.
    Fairview, Texas
    ·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,462
    Congratulations!  I'll bet your pictures helped sell them on publishing your method!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 9,921
    Congrats! Good read and the egg got to photo bomb :-P
    LBGE 2012, Mini MAX 2014, SS Table and Stoker
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Middleburg, FL
    ·
  • vchelfvchelf Posts: 70
    Congratulations! Thanks for an informative article. I'll try the reverse sear on my next steak.
    Victor Chelf
    Houston, TX

Just one Large BGE
    Visit my Victor's Vittles blog - dedicated to my Big Green Eggventures

·
  • GK59GK59 Posts: 497
    Glad you could show up the gassers. Egg On!

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

·
  • Great article. I am forwarding the link to everyone that gives me a dumb look when I tell them about reverse sear
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

·
  • GoVolsGoVols Posts: 180
    Nice article and great looking steaks
    Tim Rickman,Tn.
    ·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    I referenced your article for my strips tonight since I couldn't remember the temp for the reverse part. Great article.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,276
    Loved the part about "God sheds his grace on me" in our National anthem

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,076
    Approaching @Griffin status. ...congratulations
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Just finished reading your informative article. I have some questions about the mechanics of the roast/sear.. While roasting the steak , are you using a Woo2 to raise the meat? How do you raise the meat "vertically," as mentioned in your article. when you go to the sear, do you remove the raised grid and then put in a lower grid on top of the fire ring?
    Looks great and i want to try it. How do you do hamburgers?

·
  • Nice job, just had a read. Congrats!!
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,467
    Way cool!
    Well done (not the steak)!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,824
    Nice work.
    ·
  • Nice job and congrats!
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

·
  • allsidallsid Posts: 401
    mollysue said:
    Just finished reading your informative article. I have some questions about the mechanics of the roast/sear.. While roasting the steak , are you using a Woo2 to raise the meat? How do you raise the meat "vertically," as mentioned in your article. when you go to the sear, do you remove the raised grid and then put in a lower grid on top of the fire ring?
    Looks great and i want to try it. How do you do hamburgers?

@mollysue- I used the Woo in this article, and almost all of the cooking I do on my small.  On my large I do not have a woo or any other type of adjusting tool so I will roast atop my half moon, or even put a couple of bricks on the grate with another grate on top.  The idea is to use the radiant, oven effect for a smooth, even cook.  On the sear, I again do not have a formal set up.  I can either go back to grate level to sear which takes moving some hot stuff around.  I have also gone caveman (directly on lump) or put a smaller grate very close to the lump for an extremely hot sear.  I am sure there are much easier ways to do it-

On a side note, I have found roasting on the small, even at lower temperatures, raised, sometimes I do not even need a sear.  It seems that the amount of time it roasts combined with the heat it gets from what it is sitting on can give it a pretty hard sear over time.  The sear is one of the most fun parts, so I do not recommend you go without but sometimes it is not all that necessary-

As far as burgers, I am old school on them as much as possible.  Regardless if I go direct, or raised direct, I drop and usually don't touch until they start sweating blood.  When I see the droplets, IMHO they are 75% done.  I flip, cheese, and go until the cheese is done to my liking or I can't stand it anymore.  But as a rule of thumb, if it took 3 min to get some good blood droplets going, I will only go for another min after the flip or so-

Good luck!
    ·