Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egging in the cold and lucky ribs

Options
jlsm
jlsm Posts: 1,011
Three days ago, my husband looked at me and said, "Of course you're going to make your lucky ribs for the Eagles' game Saturday, right?" News to me that I make "lucky ribs." Got 9 inches of snow Thursday night and the temps never got past 20 Friday, but I went out  back, shoveled a path to the egg, refreshed the charcoal and cleaned out the ash. This morning, my husband and I decided to leave the car in a primo space that would disappear quickly and take the bus to the butcher. Missed the bus. Took a cab. Got two racks of baby backs plus ABT fixings. 

Went out and noticed that the dome thermometer read 700 degrees. Gee, that's funny. I didn't do a high-heat cook. Turns out it was so cold that the dial had traveled counterclockwise. Very odd. Working fine now.  

Started the fire and noticed absolutely no difference in the timing between 90-degree weather and 20-degree. Rubbed the ribs with Mickey's coffee rub, stabilized at 275 grate, 325 dome in a half hour with the plate setter in. The vents are open a bit more than normal, but just a bit. 

Anyone else out there egging/smoking in the cold? (And the Eagles better win.)

(Pics will follow.)
Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Where are you located?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    If he wanted ribs you should have made him shovel a path to the egg for you. Not egging today as we have a late Xmas party to attend

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Dang-I don't know your or your husband but somehow he is one lucky SOB.  I will refrain from further comments other than "Go Eagles".  Enjoy the ribs-and great post!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jlsm
    Options
    Henapple, Philadelphia. My husband is nothing but chivalrous, but he manages a retail store in a large very poorly heated tent in Philly's Christmas village, working in the cold for six weeks. I didn't have the heart to ask him to shovel. 

The ribs took three hours. This is the second time I've used a compromise between low and slow and turbo, and both batches have been excellent. 

And though I know it doesn't mean much, I still take pride in the smoke ring.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    you should be pride, great story and awesome ribs!
    canuckland
  • golfandgrill
    Options
    Ribs look great. Sorry though, 20 degrees isn't cold.....
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • jlsm
    Options
    Well, they weren't lucky after all.