Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Almost lost my prime rib on the reverse sear

I did my first prime rib for dinner last night. I looked up how guys here do it and cooked @300 due to time.The 5lb was done in 2 hrs reading 125 so I pulled it.
I had a grate on the lowest part of the woo and let the temps hit 550+. When I put the prime rib on to sear....it was great balls of fire.
The flames were shooting, the string holding the bones snapped and my tongs struggled to grab the meat. Finally I just used gloves and pulled it off, saving dinner.

Dinner turned out great, but I could have lost her. I also should have pulled it a bit sooner. I wont be searing prime rib in the future, it does not need it for our house.

So when searing are guys putting it on lower part of the egg? Or just raising temps and using normal or raised grid height?
Seattle, WA

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Same thing happened to me Christmas eve. I was glad I had descent gloves to be able to reach in the inferno and grab it out. Next time I think I'll just bring the temp up to 375 when it's about 20 degrees or so from target, then pull.
    Dunedin, FL
  • I remove the stone but still keep a drip pan underneath to prevent the flare ups.  
    Indianapolis, Indiana.  Go Colts & Hoosiers!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I had a similar thing happen. It is a bit unnerving watching a $80+ hunk of beef go up in flames! I hat 2 pairs of tongs and welder gloves on so I was ready.

I do like a nice crust, so next time I am thinking of a couple of options. 1) keep indirect, and raised. After target temp is reached let roast rest for a while while egg gets to 500+, then put back on for 3-5 minutes.
    2) use my CI griddle if the roast will fit.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    What about hand glazing the meat with a torch...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    lousubcap said:

This is what I did... It worked great!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• I do them at normal grate level.... Then about 500 dome. Only flare ups I got were when I opened the lid to rotate.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    lousubcap said:
    Do you mean like a hand-held propane?
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    That's the device-cuts down on any chances for issues like addressed above.  Probably nowhere near as uniform but then does take several potential disasters out of the equation.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I do an initial sear - on the Egg at 550 - 600 indirect with a drip pan, for 5 minutes per pound, then bring it inside into a preheated 500 degree oven.  Give the oven a minute or two to come back up to temp from opening the door, then shut it off and don't open the door for two hours - consistently med rare at the end of the 2 hours.  Great way for when you need to time dinner.
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I did my finish sear indirect.    Raised the temp to 550 , and put it right on the grate for 5 minutes.  Worked great and I did not have to flip the meat (it was really cold out).   I got a pair of Steven Raichlin's BBQ gloves for Christmas - good for handling that hot meat if you have to, though they are a bit slippery - hold on tight.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Have faith and close the lid. If you leave the lid open and fiddle with the meat you are adding grease and oxygen to the fire.
  • jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    Also went indirect on the sear at 600 degrees. I had gone for five hours at about 210 dome and pulled at an internal 115 degrees. For smaller cuts like tri tip I usually do the sear direct for about 6 minutes. For my Christmas 16 lb 6 rib beast I went 10 minutes on the sear. Came out great.
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    jaydub58 said:

lousubcap said:

Do you mean like a hand-held propane?

I used mapp gas.
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Indirect sear pics look perfect. That's the way to go if any, thanks guys.
    But it may be another yr before prime rib again.
    Seattle, WA
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    SkinnyV said:
    Indirect sear pics look perfect. That's the way to go if any, thanks guys. But it may be another yr before prime rib again.

But it's so good, you should find an excuse to do it sooner. I will!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY