Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Looking forward to a delicious Christmas dinner? Keep our Holiday Entertaining Publication handy throughout December for all your holiday dinner needs. But you can also find some of our favorites on our Country Christmas page, including Christmas Ham and Peach Cobbler. Happy cooking!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Almost lost my prime rib on the reverse sear

SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 1,935
I did my first prime rib for dinner last night. I looked up how guys here do it and cooked @300 due to time.The 5lb was done in 2 hrs reading 125 so I pulled it.
I had a grate on the lowest part of the woo and let the temps hit 550+. When I put the prime rib on to sear....it was great balls of fire.
The flames were shooting, the string holding the bones snapped and my tongs struggled to grab the meat. Finally I just used gloves and pulled it off, saving dinner.

Dinner turned out great, but I could have lost her. I also should have pulled it a bit sooner. I wont be searing prime rib in the future, it does not need it for our house.

So when searing are guys putting it on lower part of the egg? Or just raising temps and using normal or raised grid height?
Seattle, WA

Comments