Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood

Options

Comments

• Loosemoose
    Options
    I just ordered 5 bags of Rockwood. I can't wait to try it and with buying 5 bags the shipping was free. If its as good as folks say it is that's a no brainer in my book.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • Alphonse
    Alphonse Posts: 80
    edited January 2014
    Options

I just ordered 5 bags of Rockwood. I can't wait to try it and with buying 5 bags the shipping was free. If its as good as folks say it is that's a no brainer in my book.

The UPS guy saw Firecraft on the boxes and asked me if it was firewood! :-)
    Alan in LA (Lower Alabama that is)
    "If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!" 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I just ordered 100lbs of lump from Firecraft.

I finally get to try some Ozark and Rockwood.  I threw in one bag of Dragons Breath for comparisons sake.

Looks like I'm set for the rest of winter, maybe get me into spring.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I've burned thru several bags of Rockwood and would definitely say I AM A FAN.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • brzelt
    brzelt Posts: 62
    Options

My favorite by far..... finally used up my last Royal Oak on a butt two weeks ago.  Rockwood from now on for me.

For you ATL guys be sure to tell your ACE hardware how glad you are that they are carrying it... When I mentioned it to the folks in Cartersville they looked at me kinda strange.  They said they were just trying it from the warehouse and really appreciated my feedback.
    Bruce
    L BGE
    Kennesaw, GA
  • TEH68
    TEH68 Posts: 62
    Options
    Im in East Cobb and am looking to try a new lump.
    Large, Small & Mini. Marietta, GA Go DAWGS!!
  • SouthernSmokin
    Options
    If any eggers in or near southeast Alabama are interested in a group buy of some Rockwood I'm game.
    1 BGE, 4 mouths to feed.....

Dothan, AL
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Need Rockwood in Columbia SC
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited January 2014
    Options
    @Chubbs - see if you can get a group buy organized. Pretty simple to arrange, it helps if you know somebody with a loading dock to receive the shipment. I organized one recently in Houston and it worked out well. 

And then when you meet up with some eggheads to deliver their lump, you get to feel the thrill (briefly) of being @henapple

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Shipping was free?  Link please...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• SouthernSmokin
    Options
    http://www.firecraft.com/category/hardwood-charcoal

Free shipping with orders of $99 or more.
    1 BGE, 4 mouths to feed.....

Dothan, AL
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    TEH68 said:
    Im in East Cobb and am looking to try a new lump.

The Ace in East Cobb should have Rockwood--they have purchased two pallets from us.  If they're out, they should be able to order more in a few weeks.

brzelt said:
    For you ATL guys be sure to tell your ACE hardware how glad you are that they are carrying it... When I mentioned it to the folks in Cartersville they looked at me kinda strange.  They said they were just trying it from the warehouse and really appreciated my feedback.
    Yes, we did two test runs in the ATL market.  They brought it in through the regional warehouse to save on shipping.  The test runs did well, and we'll be a vendor in the SE system and soon the paperwork is done.
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    The Ace on Scott Blvd has Rockwood. I bought four bags earlier today.

This is the Ace that is down the road from the BGE mothership.

1404 Scott Blvd
    Decatur, GA 30030
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    Got in on the group buy of Rockwood here in DFW.  Been really happy with it.....just a notch below OO in my mind, but close.  And those are the best two I've used.  Although unless we get another group buy at some point, I'll probably be going back to OO exclusively since I can get it here locally and no one around me carries Rockwood.   

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Having just done a wing & pizza cook using the last of the WGWW and then more pizza and last night's brisket with the Rockwood; I can definitely say that I am much more in favor of Rockwood...

Lights faster, ready to cook faster, more left over when I open the next time... Very pleasant neutral type of smoke.

Happy that I live 10min from Firecraft and can order it and pick it up the same day when needed...
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Need Rockwood in Columbia SC
    Check with your local Ace in a couple weeks......the Gainesville warehouse covers SC.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    KennyLee said:

Got in on the group buy of Rockwood here in DFW.  Been really happy with it.....just a notch below OO in my mind, but close.  And those are the best two I've used.  Although unless we get another group buy at some point, I'll probably be going back to OO exclusively since I can get it here locally and no one around me carries Rockwood.   

@kennylee, What makes it a notch below? I haven't had the chance to try OO but I've been quite impressed with Rockwood. Just for curiosity's sake.
  • KennyLee
    Options
    @kennylee, What makes it a notch below? I haven't had the chance to try OO but I've been quite impressed with Rockwood. Just for curiosity's sake.

I thought OO burned more evenly and slower than Rockwood and was far less sparky.   I know environmental factors can be involved, but I've been through about the same amount of each.  I'd also say I preferred the way OO smelled too versus Rockwood.  Both are mild compared to most lumps, but RW is very mild.  Just my preference is all. 

And I'd use either with no problem, but just can't get RW here locally.

LBGE

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I won't speak for Kenny but the thing that stands out to me is the size of the pieces. I've used OO exclusively for over a year. I'm on my 3rd bag of Rockwood and really like it. I haven't done hi temp but it handles a l&s. It burns clean in a ridiculously quick time. I like OO better because I can usually get it around .50 lb. I'd use Rockwood in a heartbeat.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • KennyLee
    Options
    henapple said:
    I won't speak for Kenny but the thing that stands out to me is the size of the pieces. I've used OO exclusively for over a year. I'm on my 3rd bag of Rockwood and really like it. I haven't done hi temp but it handles a l&s. It burns clean in a ridiculously quick time. I like OO better because I can usually get it around .50 lb. I'd use Rockwood in a heartbeat.
    You know, now that you mention it, that too.  The pieces of OO were far larger on average than RW.  I will say that the RW bags were 20 lb. versus 10 for Ozark.  There was quite a bit of smaller pieces and dust in my first two RW bags versus very little in OO bags.

LBGE

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    KennyLee said:

I thought OO burned more evenly and slower than Rockwood and was far less sparky.   I know environmental factors can be involved, but I've been through about the same amount of each.  I'd also say I preferred the way OO smelled too versus Rockwood.  Both are mild compared to most lumps, but RW is very mild.  Just my preference is all. 

And I'd use either with no problem, but just can't get RW here locally.

The sparks are usually a result of ambient humidity, that's why you only get them during lighting......after it warms up, all the moisture is out of there.  Try keeping an opened bag inside the house for a week and see if you still get the sparks.  Hopefully it will be less, plus is it's a great air freshener!

BTW, you should be able to get Rockwood in DFW at the Ceramic Grill Store.  Not sure where that is in relation to you.

• KennyLee
    edited January 2014
    Options

The sparks are usually a result of ambient humidity, that's why you only get them during lighting......after it warms up, all the moisture is out of there.  Try keeping an opened bag inside the house for a week and see if you still get the sparks.  Hopefully it will be less, plus is it's a great air freshener!

BTW, you should be able to get Rockwood in DFW at the Ceramic Grill Store.  Not sure where that is in relation to you.

The sparks aren't a big deal to me.  I keep all my lump outside in a sealed container under my table regardless of brand.  Although I did notice the difference when switching between the two brands.  I went through a few bags of OO right before the RW, but could have been a weather/humidity difference.  I love your lump and I did know CGS carried it up in Denton, but that is a good hour-plus for me each way even in the most benign traffic conditions, not to mention I never get up that way for other reasons.  I would love it if y'all would get it somewhere down in Tarrant County.  For some reason I thought Ace was going to be carrying it and there's one close to me in Mansfield and a couple in Arlington, but they didn't have it last time I was in and I don't see it on your website. 

Nevertheless.....I would be in on another group buy if we get one together sometime in the coming months.  The last one was thanks to @Proser and super convenient for me.  Still have two bags of RW left though thankfully!

LBGE

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @stlcharcoal - when will ace be carrying RW in my area or Ky?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @henapple - Rockwood does seem to have smaller pieces in the bag compared to say Wicked Good, but that doesn't seem to affect its burn properties. When I did my recent tests, i expected the smaller pieces of Rockwood to make a diference - i thought it would burner hotter and faster i.e. that the lump would burn itself out faster than the Wicked Good, but surprisingly that was not the case. In terms of burn time, the Rockwood lasted as long as Wicked Good.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nick_banich
    nick_banich Posts: 110
    edited January 2014
    Options
    @stlcharcoal Any distribution in the Indy area?
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• Loosemoose
    Options

Like said below go to firecraft and anything over $99 is free shipping.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options
    Is the price for Rockwood about the same all over @ $20 for 20# ? 
    What did a pallet cost if shipped 500 miles?

Thanks ahead.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Loosemoose
    Loosemoose Posts: 295
    edited January 2014
    Options

@stlcharcoal Any distribution in the Indy area?

You can locate from the website.

http://rockwoodcharcoal.com/where-to-buy-lump-charcoal/
    Nowhere Indiana