Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Covering egg

BrianPBrianP Posts: 147
edited 9:00PM in EggHead Forum
Hi,
I purchased my egg a month or so ago and now that we're heading into the colder and wetter months I wanted to ask: What's the general opinion on covering the egg to protect it from the elements? I know the ceramic pieces won't suffer from rain but I'm starting to see a little oxidation/rust around some of the metal fittings (springs, bolts, etc.). Do you folks cover your eggs?

thanks,
BrianP

Comments

• T-47T-47 Posts: 84
    I live out side Seattle WA. and we get lots of rain. :ohmy:
    I have had my egg for almost a year. I use the Green Egg cover, and I store my caste iron daisy wheel and grid inside my house to prevent rust. I found a Pizza Box that the grid fits in, I just put it in that, and hose it down with cooking spray to store it between my high temp. cooks. I think my egg still looks like new.
  • I just built a plywood "egg carton" for my BGE and accessories. I made it so I can wheel the egg in with side tables up, so I don't have to remove hanging items. It's rather huge - 28x72", but I wanted things covered because we get a lot of snow here at 9200 feet.
  • does the BGE cover last a few years with snow/rain/ice/sun or should I throw a cheap tarp over it for the winter months. Seems kind of silly to protect the protection......