Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg is 2 months old and stripping already peeling off from between the lid and base!! Help!!

Options
gregv
gregv Posts: 8
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum

Hey guys, got the egg about 2 months ago and really enjoying it so far! Was making pizza the other night at about 600-700 degrees and when I opened the lid, the stripping on the base and the lid (kind of the velvet material that comes together when you close the egg) has started to peel off. On the base about half is peeling off and half still glued on and on the top just about 3-4 inches has started to peel off. 

What gives, the glue is melting already that holds it in place?? Do I just get some glue and re-glue it or should I contact my dealer and this should be unders warrantee??

Thanks!

Greg

Comments

• Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Search for gasket replacement on this forum and you'll see it's really common. Not a huge deal to replace. I suggest going with a Rutland gasket right away! I think it is a warranty item and I definitely would not use regular glue to put it back down.
    XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    That's your gasket. What color is it? I would call the dealer. I'm not sure if they'll fix it or give you a new gasket.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    See this thread. Then send a PM to RRP for your new gasket. I the mean time, you can cook without one. Lots of folks do.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokinTiger81
    Options
    The gasket has a 2 year warranty. Ask bge for the newer high temp nomex gasket. It holds up much better and comes with adhesive strip on it already.
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Options
    I fried my original cheap grey felt gasket on a pizza cook. Called the mothership and had one sitting on my front porch 2 days later!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Fried mine in the first two months... went without for over a year with no problems. Only reason I replaced it was because the base cracked and the dealer was going to have it apart anyway at the time...

Don't worry too much about and just keep cooking :)

Post some pictures as well...

Welcome to the forum
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I had about 10" space of no gasket on my medium, only thing I noticed is the lump burned longer when extinguishing the fire.
  • gregv
    Options
    Wow thanks for the help everyone, this is great. Also thanks for telling me the correct term for it lol :))

Is RRP the man named Ron who sells a high quality gasket. Im guessing u are just suggesting I PM him and buy on from him since its better quality then getting another one for free from BGE through warranty?

Thanks!

• jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    Options
    I understood they were now coming with the Nomex gasket. A friend got a new Egg that I helped him set up last weekend and I'm pretty sure it was the Nomex on it.

Greg, you are describing it "peeling" off. That does not sound like the burn through we have all experienced when doing our first high temperature cook. Assuming it came with the new Nomex gasket (safe assumption), and the gasket is intact and just not secured to the ceramic it may just need to be properly glued with high temp sealant. I would go to your dealer right away with this issue or email the mothership. They will send you a gasket and or glue gratis.
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • gregv
    Options
    jfarley said:
    I understood they were now coming with the Nomex gasket. A friend got a new Egg that I helped him set up last weekend and I'm pretty sure it was the Nomex on it.

Greg, you are describing it "peeling" off. That does not sound like the burn through we have all experienced when doing our first high temperature cook. Assuming it came with the new Nomex gasket (safe assumption), and the gasket is intact and just not secured to the ceramic it may just need to be properly glued with high temp sealant. I would go to your dealer right away with this issue or email the mothership. They will send you a gasket and or glue gratis.
    Thanks!! Yeah the gasket seems to be intact, it peeled off. I attached a picture here of what it looks like.

• gregv
    Options
    Just came across this as well on the FAQ on BGE website. #17 addresses the issue as well.

• oakdaleegger
    Options
    I bought a new gasket 3 years ago because the original burnt to a crisp. The new one is still sitting in my garage. Don't worry about it!
  • jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    Options
    Yeah Greg. Definitely not the burn through I and others have experienced with the original style gasket. I know many are saying you don't need a gasket at all. While I'm sure the Egg will work ok without one I'm not in that camp. I would email that picture to BGE and let them make the call on what is needed. Probably just a re-glue after cleaning the surface of the shell. In the mean time I would still use it just being aware the gasket is loose. It should still seal fine with the lid closed and the gasket in place.

LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You can go without a gasket (though I like having one), you can re-glue what you have, you can get a Nomex replacement from bge (maybe even a free one). Or you can buy a Rutland and not have to mess with it again for a very long time. Mine is 4 years old now. Ron's is older than that.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut