Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to light the egg?

Options
I've tried both the starter cubes and charcoal chimney but Im not sure if there are any better or faster ways of light the lump. Any thoughts?

Comments

• gktheegghead
    Options
    I used the other day 91% rubbing alcohol soaked on a piece of paper towel rolled up and it worked fine and it is cheap!!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This is what I use. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• stevesails
    Options
    Weed burner. Paper towels with olive oil if out of propane
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2014
    Options
    The big white tank for the Larges and the little yellow tank for the Mini. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Gibber
    Gibber Posts: 1
    Options

I bought a Looft Lighter.  Pour in your Lump and it takes about 5 minutes.  Super easy to use.

www.looftlighter.com

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I start my charcoal using 91% alcohol purchased at Walmart. I use a pencil to poke a tiny hole in the seal and then  squirt a little alcohol in 4 places in a circle about 4 inches in from the outside rim of the charcoal. Then a little squirt in the center.  Wait a few seconds then toss in a match.

Alcohol burns clean and quickly starts the charcoal. It is very safe as long as you stand back a little when dropping in the match.  The warmer the day, the more  it evaporates before lighting and can cause a flash.  In the winter, it doesn't evaporate and I actually have to hold the match at the squirt points.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I'm sure it's not the fastest, but vegetable oil or bacon fat on a twisted up paper towel is safe and probably one of the cheapest ways to start the egg.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Torch method is the best IMO.  I got the Bernzomatic TS4000 from HD.....about $40 and takes about 1-2 minutes to get the Egg lit.  Just hold it down in the lump for about 30 seconds in 3-4 spots, then close the lid and open the vents.  Works with MAP or propane, but propane is cheaper and works great.  Canisters are about $3 and last for months.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    I've tried newspaper and a chimney, a mapp torch, starter cubes, and olive oil on a napkin. The fastest way I've found is a basic electric starter although it only lights a small amount of lump so it still takes longer than I'd like. Im anxious to try the weedburner technique. I'd love to have a fire ready to go in under 20 minutes.

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    I used wax cubes for long time now I use weed burner super fast.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Weed burner is by far the best, but its a bit tedious to lug a big propane tank around. I've tried Weber starter cubes which work well, but take a little longer to light the lump unless you use a few at a time. The chimney method works pretty well, but you have to be careful to not melt the handle on the chimney. Tried the paper towel soaked in oil method a few times and was not impressed, I wish I had bought the weed burner with the built in starter though. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Loosemoose
    Options
    KennyLee said:

Torch method is the best IMO.  I got the Bernzomatic TS4000 from HD.....about $40 and takes about 1-2 minutes to get the Egg lit.  Just hold it down in the lump for about 30 seconds in 3-4 spots, then close the lid and open the vents.  Works with MAP or propane, but propane is cheaper and works great.  Canisters are about $3 and last for months.

This is all I use but I guess all these methods work. I for one will never string an extension cord even though I'd only need about 20 feet to the outlet.

I keep a torch with my egg. I light it and then sit back and drink a beer.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Get one of these units with the link below.  By far the best!

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I just started this thread the other day.  

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    IMHO LoofLighter!
    Brandon, MS
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I thought about the LoofLighter too, however the need for electricity was the kicker for me. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    And cost!  The propane torch is cheap comparted to the Looftlighter.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    This is the best way to light. A few of these the time doesn't matter
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Why are people worried about how fast they can start a fire when they are willing to wait all day for something to cook?  I know I am a newbie, but why the need for speed?  I'd say use something cheap or accessible.  I built my own chimney starter with a big old coffee can, and use it to light egg no problemo.  Takes about 5 minutes until the coals are ready to dump in the egg.  
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I'm in the electric starter camp, of course the outlet is within 12" of the base dome felt line so to me it is no brainer. I have used a torch, but the sparks are something I don't want to deal with. Chimneys are for briquettes in my mind. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    @Doofus - I see your point, however for me, on Wednesday, I ran behind and had to cook some marinaded grilled chicken for the picky folks in my family for New Years.  We were to eat at 12:30 and I got to the Egg at 12:10.  The propane torch got the fire going in no time and up to temp for me to get the chicken on.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • canegger
    Options
    When in a crunch I find the electric starter I have to be quick
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    High-que grate and couple crumpled up pieces of newspapers under it.
    Pentwater, MI
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    canegger said:

Now all you need is a dead animal B-)

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options

Why are people worried about how fast they can start a fire when they are willing to wait all day for something to cook?  I know I am a newbie, but why the need for speed?  I'd say use something cheap or accessible.  I built my own chimney starter with a big old coffee can, and use it to light egg no problemo.  Takes about 5 minutes until the coals are ready to dump in the egg.  

Time isn't a factor for all day cooks but like a lot of others we cook dinner several nights per week on the egg. I usually don't get home before 7 so every minute we wait for the charcoal means we are later eating, later cleaning up, and later getting the kids to bed leaving little to no time to unwind before bed. An extra 15 minutes would be much appreciated for me. A lot of our cooks are completed in 30 minutes or less. Hard to justify spending more time lighting and stabilizing temp than actually cooking.

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• canegger
    edited January 2014
    Options

canegger said:

Now all you need is a dead animal B-)

Always have a few of these around
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    shucker said:
    Time isn't a factor for all day cooks but like a lot of others we cook dinner several nights per week on the egg. I usually don't get home before 7 so every minute we wait for the charcoal means we are later eating, later cleaning up, and later getting the kids to bed leaving little to no time to unwind before bed. An extra 15 minutes would be much appreciated for me. A lot of our cooks are completed in 30 minutes or less. Hard to justify spending more time lighting and stabilizing temp than actually cooking.
    I can certainly appreciate the need for speed in these situations.  Thanks for sharing.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    @Doofus - I see your point, however for me, on Wednesday, I ran behind and had to cook some marinaded grilled chicken for the picky folks in my family for New Years.  We were to eat at 12:30 and I got to the Egg at 12:10.  The propane torch got the fire going in no time and up to temp for me to get the chicken on.  
    Understood.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    Gibber said:

I bought a Looft Lighter.  Pour in your Lump and it takes about 5 minutes.  Super easy to use.

www.looftlighter.com

+1 

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I use vegetable oil soaked paper towels, I put them in a circle of lump, basically just tenting it. If I'm in a hurry, once the towels are no longer on fire, I install my stoker to act as a blower.