Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Selection Indiana (Indy)

Options
Fellow Hoosiers,

Just got APLs book for Xmas along with all sorts of new toys for the BGE from my wife.  I'm sitting here trying to avoid thinking about the snow on Sunday by planning some cooks once the windchill gets above the -40 degrees that is foretasted tor Monday. 

I usually buy my meat from Sam's or Kroger, but would like to know if there are any good quality / reasonably price butcher shops in the area.  I went to Goose the Market once for some butts, but wasn't impressed with the knowledge of the guys on the other side of the glass and felt like a paid WAY too much for an OK piece of pig.  

I've head Beech Grove has a solid butcher as well as some place on the Eastside--- forget the name. 

I live over in Franklin Township but work downtown. 

Thanks - Nick 
-Large BGE since 6-13
-Indianapolis, IN

Comments

• Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    Options
    I live north but hit Kroger in Westfield, Costco on Mighigan (better than 86th & Allisonville) or my favorite for beef is Joe's in Carmel.

LBGE

BTFU!

• Scottyboy
    Scottyboy Posts: 40
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Try Kincaid's Meat market in Broad Ripple.  I've never bought there personally, but have a friend with a LBGE who swears by that place....not cheap, but prime beef.  I just bought 2 pork butts from Sam's on East Washington St. a bit ago and am going to start them later this evening.
    XL, LBGE, Adjustable Rig
    Shelbyville, IN
  • Boileregger
    Options
    My dad (also an egghead) works for Marsh and he says they can pretty much order anything you're looking for...just have to ask. I have no experience since I live in Texas now, but I'd give it a shot if I were you...worst thing that can happen is they say no.
  • Loosemoose
    Options
    I have a local meat cutter here in Huntington that I really like but that's a couple hour drive north for you.
    For brisket I go to Costco in Ft Wayne and they have a great meat department there.
    Just watch out for the tenderized steak unless you plan on cooking to 165. If that's the case you can ruin a cheap steak you find anywhere and it would be the same.

Good luck with this crazy weather we have coming in!
    Nowhere Indiana