Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pepper Stout Beef

Options
I hadn't cooked one of these in a while. Pretty much used the Wolfe Pit recipe except I devein and remove the seeds from the jalapeños as Mrs R2 and I can't handle much heat. I also used Big Butz BBQ's Cow Pow rub instead of S&P.
Smoked a 3 1/2 lb 7 bone chuck roast (over a butt - not part of the recipe :) ) until IT hit about 165: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Prepped the standard veggies & tried a Big Bear Stout: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Added the chuck to the pan and covered: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
It went back into the Egg at about 325-350 for almost 3 hrs before it was pulled and returned to the Egg uncovered for a while longer to reduce the liquids. Finished product: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Served on a ciabatta roll (I added some cheese after taking this pic): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
It was some good eats. I really need to make this more often.
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Beautiful cook, must try.
    Seattle, WA
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    SkinnyV said:

Beautiful cook, must try.

Thanks V! I recommend that you do.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Great cook R2! As always, beautiful food and pics!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Boy oh boy does that look good. The last picture is money!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Nice cook!  This is on the short list of things to do.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    I bought a chuck roast yesterday to cook this today... I hope it turns out as good as yours did!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    Man that looks good!

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Awesome!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Bear republic woooo. I love their racer 5.

Cook looks great.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    @BYS1981, the Bear Republic beer was the first thing I noticed about this post!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Great one as always @R2Egg2Q, definitely getting a bookmark. I think I get the gist, but if you have it handy can you post the recipe you mentioned?  

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    Bear republic woooo. I love their racer 5. Cook looks great.
    This is the only Bear REpublic I've tried. One of the best IPA's I had last year.
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options

Great one as always @R2Egg2Q, definitely getting a bookmark. I think I get the gist, but if you have it handy can you post the recipe you mentioned?  

Cheers -
    B_B
    Sure Chris, here you go: http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html?m=1

Bay Area, CA
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Thanks John. I think your batch looks even better than the original! Did you use any wood chunks? 
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Thanks! Yes, a couple of chunks of oak.

Bay Area, CA
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    That looks so good! I need to make one again, I will give this recipe a try, Thanks! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Pictures look amazing!  I am trying to duplicate it now, smoked a 3lb roast earlier but I have to finish it in the oven for foil step. 

I saw another post about Pepper Stout Beef and someone finished the ciabatta bread with a mayo based sauce.  I think it had horseradish in it too?  Anybody have any ideas what this would be?

GO BUCKS! 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Just found it, @acn posted a tiger sauce and I put it below in case anybody was curious.  I think I am trying the sauce instead of cheese  . . . 

tiger sauce (I make mine about 3 tbs mayo and 1 1/2 tbs horseradish)
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Can I just use oak from a tree.. I mean what's the dry out period? I have found an oak tree that has been cut down this week.
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    I've heard 6-12 months but I would imagine it depends on a number of factors (size of the chunks, season, humidity, etc...). I don't have any first hand experience waiting it out on fresh cut wood yet but this reminds me that I have some wood drying out from my dwarf plum tree that I think I cut 6-7 months ago that I might try. I'm sure there's an optimal moisture content that smoke wood should have but I don't have any way of measuring that. Perhaps the science guys will chime in.

Bay Area, CA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Now that's a great looking cook! Bookmarked.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • gpmichal
    Options
    I followed this recipe last week and attempted to cut all the ingredients in half since it was just for my wife and me.  This ended up being a mistake; well halving the liquid ingredients was a mistake I should say.  While it was roasting at 350° covered in foil for 2 1/2 hrs.too much of the liquid was reduced and left the entire meal way too concentrated.  I'm not sure how it reduced like that being that it was covered in foil.  Oh well...live and learn.
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    Good looking cook. I just did pulled beef on Thursday and it was good. This brings it to a whe new level.
    Mark Annville, PA