Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all had a big green St. Patrick’s Day! While you’re waiting for it to be Easter time, try some of the new recipes we’ve recently added to our website. One of our favorite dishes is the Easy Jambalaya with Beef, and our favorite sweet & savory treat is the Sweet Cream Crostini.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

EPIC FAIL. ..

You know your brisket should look like a meteor. ..mine came out just like that . Unfortunately it was as hard as one. 11 hours overnight but the 11 lb #@$% thing cooked too fast. 210 dome and ruined. I didn't use my maverick because I've gone through so many probes. The digiq did it's job. Miscalculation on my part. I planned on making beef jerky this weekend but now. ...oh well, beef short rib stew tonight...If I don't %\d $ that up.

:-q
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
·

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,449
    How exactly is it ruined? I guess you already made the jerky?
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527
    Dry. I came outside to the digiq beeping. ..124 in the flat.
    ·
    My wife kept asking if the cold affects the egg...I told her no. 16 degrees and windy.
    ·
    124? That's way under done, sir. Unless I'm missing something.
    ·
    Sorry 224...I'm so pissed at myself I can't type.
    ·
    You could try to chop it up and use it in chili or stew. It will rehydrate some, still adding flavor.

Or give it to the dog. 
    ·
    It's past the point. ..maybe a chew toy.
    ·
    Doesn't the digiq have a ramp-down feature? Also, how did the temp get 14 degrees higher than the (device-regulated)egg temp? I'm genuinely curious.
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,894
    edited January 2014
    dang @henapple-11#'s cooked that fast (to that temp) at 210*f on the dome...  Strange behaving hunk of beef. 
    Louisville
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,025
    edited January 2014

Travis said to send you this. He said even a traveling guy from TN couldn't screw it up:

Turbo Brisket (Travis)

350 until 195, need pan with beer. 
    10 lb app 6/7 hr
    then in a cooler wrapped in towels for a hour or so. 
    When you unwrap, foil is full of juice!!
     put a lot of wood chips and chunks to get as much smoke in before the meat hits 140, good smoke ring most of the time.
    Cut against the grain. 

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Sorry to hear about that.  Happens to the best of us.  
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Currently in Albuquerque, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,025

Damn Hen, I think Travis is being a little hard on you.

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
    @Eggcelsior. ..it might but it wasn't set up. I checked the probe for accuracy last week and it was perfect. The last two I cooked were awesome. @Mickey, if Centex hears I turboed a brisket he'll defriend me. I'll have to look into the ramp feature.
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,055
    Sucks my friend. Briskets is beasts

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    I'm not mad about it for the cost and wasted time. ..just craving brisket.
    ·
    Mickey said:

Damn Hen, I think Travis is being a little hard on you.

Eh, this wasn't quite "Travelling Wilbury's" as opposed to "Travelling Boondoggle"
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,894

Looked at those temps again-something isn't/wasn't reading right.

Louisville
    ·
  • Sounds like someone really wanted brisket. I completly understand. I finished one on Christmas morning. It seemed a little too tender but what the hey. I wrapped it in foil and when I opened it it looked like pulled beef. I haven't a clue what happened but I wasn't happy :)
    Southern Indiana
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,906
    Sorry to hear the brisket cooked too fast. I've never done a overnight in fear of that. The last couple I have kept the Egg at 275° and just started them in the morning. 

Yes the DigiQ has a ramp feature, here are the instructions 10.2 is the part that talks about the ramp feature. Basically you push the up & down arrows at the same time and cycle to the setting you want to change then press up or down till you change it to the setting you want. You can set the Alarm Deviation, Ramp, Beeper Intensity, Open Lid Detect, & °F or °C
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
    I'll have to do that sober. ..might be a while.

·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,746
    henapple said:
    I'll have to do that sober. ..might be a while.
    Thats why I just don't use anything more than a party q and I almost never do overnight. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,583
    Walk it off man. You'll be alright. 

Weren't you overdue to bomb a cook with so many recent stellar ones under your belt? :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • biznorkbiznork Posts: 110
    You're really freaking me out, dude. I'm about to throw a 15 pounder on after not cooking one for a year.
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,390
    Sucks....a bad cook always crosses my mind when I see a $30-$50 price tag on meat. We've all been there.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • On the bright side, salvaging a crummy brisket taught me how to make chili.

·
    biznork said:

You're really freaking me out, dude. I'm about to throw a 15 pounder on after not cooking one for a year.

Go ahead.....totally my fault. I figured 1 hr per lb but forgot the -10% rule. Get one going.
    ·