Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

APL - Charred and Scruffed Questions

So picked the book up the other day. For those that have it, what's your guesstimation of his definition of a "hot' fire? 500? And the high part. I just got an AR, highest tier?  Bought a 4 1/2lb boneless rib roast the other day and carved off about 2+". Figure I got about 2 1/2lber left that I'm gonna give a go with his basic baste and finish with his version of a sear.  Any suggestions from someone that has used his techniques?
Chris
LBGE
Hughesville, MD

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    I'm guessing Adam means hotter the better kinda hot….like searing hot. 600 plus, and closer to the fire. However, I have one of his books but not that one, so not familiar with the technique on the rib roast he uses. Is it a 2 stage sear and roast?

Good luck
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 317
    More vice versa. Start "high" off the fire and run it up to 95 internal, then take it down low to the fire and finish it off to temp. Doing the whole flipping thing every min or so.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Here is my version of it. I  did mine at 450° and it worked just fine. Rib roast done like a steak Great book by the way, lots of good techniques I carry over to other cooks. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • CP92
    Sho nuff appreciate that Solson.  I'll give it a run on Sunday.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Good eats Sunday at your house! 

Happy to help, mine turned out great. I got his book Serious Barbecue for Christmas and made his wing recipe on New Years. They turned out to be the best batch of wings yet. I will definitely be trying more of his methods / recipes very soon. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • CP92
    Yeah, I went to the store for that one but it wasn't in stock.  Figure I'll play with this one for a bit, then get them to order it.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • Nature Boy
    Have been lucky enough to have hooked up with APL for a few quality conversations out on the BBQ circuit. The guy is amazingly focussed on his craft, and marches to his own beat….which I love!

Like Solson, I would probably adapt a method instead of trying to worry about 95 internal. I'm thinking I would get a good hot fire (not too much charcoal, just enough to get really hot)….start off searing at the standard grate level until well seared, remove and put your raised grate setup on, put the meat back on with the vents nearly closed, and start the flipping frequently routine while the fire tames down.

If you use too much charcoal it may be tough to keep the fire under control with all the opening and flipping.

Sounds like a blast. Enjoy your cook!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • CP92
    Just realized it was you, Chris, until you started talking about the BBQ circuit.  Yeah, the fella seems to know his trade and I'm with you, he's a trail blazer for sure. I'll give it a run and throw a post up.  I always forget to take photos up though.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • CP92
    BTW, used the Cow Lick I picked up at the DizzyFest in Nov on that 2" ribeye I did the other night.  Pretty darn good if I might say so.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • Nature Boy
    Thanks Chris! Hard to remember to take photos with that tantalizing smell coming off. Gets a little more difficult when it's dark at 5 o'clock too.

Funny seeing you sign off as Chris in Laurel MD. I lived in Laurel from 67 through the early 80s.
    Take your camera with you when you cook that thang!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com