Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs - The LBGE vs the Oven

Options
TheShaytoon
TheShaytoon Posts: 420
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
We have a rib cook that makes a great rack.  Rub the ribs, wrap’em in foil, and stick them in the oven at 225 for 2 hours.  Pull them off, cut them in 2 rib sections, and sear them on the grill for a few minutes to char the edges, all the while spritzing the ribs with a cider/bbq sauce/apple juice  mixture.  
They are great.  Nice tug, but moist and tender.
So, I decided to make ribs on the egg using the 3-1-1 method @ 235 indirect.  

Smoked them for 3 hours at 235. Wrapped them in foil, with the cider/bbq sauce/apple juice mixture.  Let them sit for about 1.5 hours. Took them off, and ramped the egg up to lava level.  Cut them in 2 rib sections and put them on to char the edges.  Maybe a total of 45 seconds.  
When I took them out of the foil, they were falling off the bone.  And even after the quick sear, they where still falling off the bone.  
They tasted freaking awesome.  Good smoke,  nice little char on the outside, BUT they where a little dry and tough.  Wifey said I overcooked them.  REALLY?
I was not a happy camper.  Any ideas?  Could the quality of meat have been the issue? <-grasping at excuses that don’t place the blame on me and/or the egg.
Any ideas?

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
Dallas, TX

Comments