Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Years Eve Calzones

Options
NPHuskerFL
NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
This was my first shot at Calzones. These (made 6) were a variety. Made with pepperoni, bacon, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, basil garlic sauce..pretty basic. Family and friends enjoyed. The margaritas were a nice touch. :-D Happy New Year fellow eggheads!
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Look great from here! I still have yet to try calzones, picked up a BGE calzone press, just need to do it.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

Nice cook, NPHuskerFL. Calzones are a staple in my rotation. Ricotta definitely makes the calzone. @Dyal_SC taught me the way a year or so ago and he makes a little butter and parm sauce to baste on at the end. Delicious.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Chubbs...Thanks! My SWMBO & I were deployed to Sicily for awhile in 90s and fell in love with wood fired pizza & calzones. SWMBO makes a bruschetta to die for! I And I'm a decent barista:-D. We loved Sicily to put it mildly.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @DMW..Thanks man! I bought the same press and couldn't bring myself to use it so, returned it. Had to make old skool like they do in Sicily :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    We did the same also with pizzas was a great New Years eve
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Love ricotta. ..looks great. Hello @Chubbs
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited January 2014
    Options
    @henapple...thanks man! Ricotta is a must period. I like to splotch ricotta on my pizzas as well. I think it gives them a little character.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Looks great.

Did you start cooking unfolded, then fold?  Looking at the 3rd pic.

I did a splatchcock chicken on wed night, then used it in a calzone last night.   Was great - but did not look as good as yours do.  Nice.

Cookin in Texas
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Okay I need some details on how to do these, ingredients, etc.  Those look fabulous.  I was going to do pizzas on the egg this weekend but these look worth doing instead.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    henapple said:
    Love ricotta. ..looks great. Hello @Chubbs
    Hello Hen. For some reason the forum is in and out on letting me post to threads. I tried to post my cook last night too without success. Not giving me the permission error, simply wont let me type in the text boxes when I open the threads. Weird. How you been buddy?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    Okay I need some details on how to do these, ingredients, etc.  Those look fabulous.  I was going to do pizzas on the egg this weekend but these look worth doing instead.

My approach:   Lay out the pizza dough - add ingredients on one half, put a little extra of what ever sauce I am using on top of ingredients.   Fold over and crimp.

Cookin in Texas
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited January 2014
    Options
    @boatbum & DoofusOfTheDay...Thanks! I stretch dough like I would for a pizza. I put all the filling on one side. Wet the edge of the dough to get tacky to seal it. I make slits to allow it to vent. I baked at 500 until golden brown and when you tap on crust it sounds hollow.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Looks great @NPHuskerFL, I'd appreciate a package sent to Lincoln when you have time. Thanks. :)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season.