Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tough Rack of Pork

Options
Did a rack of pork tonight for the first time. Cooked indirect at 350 to an internal temp of 145. Rested for 20 minutes. Was moist, but a lot tougher/chewier than what I thought it should have been. Any suggestions?
Muskogee, OK

Comments

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    It's not going to be fall apart meat like ribs.  What were you expecting?
  • OkieEgger75
    Options
    Was expecting it to be like a tenderloin.
    Muskogee, OK
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    My suggestion would be a lower cook temp, about 250 and pull it about 135 and then rest.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    It shouldn't be tough as it's basically loin but it's not going to be tender as tenderloin. Sounds like you did it right enough and td's 10 degrees will probably buy back some tenderness. We don't do many loins just for this reason. We either do the tenderloin or go for the butts. You can always throw in the marinade-rub-sauce-glaze cycle, or at least parts of it, to enhance the flavor and make it more fun to chew!
  • EggHeadFred
    Options
    I did one from Costco on New Years Day.  It was great.  Seared 4 to 5 min. per side then roasted indirect at 325-350 till 140 internal. Had to foil and put in cooler for about 45min. because of bad timing, but it was great.  Everyone loved it.
    Fred V. Smyrna,Ga.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    The Costco pork roasts are enhanced and pretty much foolproof. They are my favorite. I agree with td66 that the roast might have been over cooked.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    We did one last night. Indirect at 200 grill temp till 135 IT. Then sliced into chops and seared quickly.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Yep sounds a little overcooked to me, and yes i agree the lower temp could help some. Good luck and post some pics.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • OkieEgger75
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Will give it a shot at lower temp and pulling it at 135. Maybe try to brine the next one I get from the butcher too.
    Muskogee, OK
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Brine only if you are sure it is not already "enhanced" as @GrannyX4 says. I like to cook rack of pork like a rib roast, low temps to add flavor and smoke and then sear to add color, so I'm in the cook at 250º crowd. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!