Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Want to do my first brisket, where to get the meat?

Options
I live in Orlando FL. I'm not a Cosco's member and all Publix has is flats. Any suggestions?
LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Any smart and finals near you?
  • JerkChicken
    Options
    @BYS1981 Nope, there is a whole foods though but I'm not sure if I wanna spend whole paycheck.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Whole foods only has flats by me, at $8.99/lb lol
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Any local butchers? Sam's?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Join either Costco or Sams Club.  Sam's more frequently puts out flats and packers.  The Costco I shop rarely puts out anything but fully ruined trimmed) flats, but usually has cryo'd flats available if you ask.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    The Orlando area (at least Clermont) also has BJs which is another bulk warehouse option. I just cooked prime rib, T-bones, and beef tenderloin from there and they were excellent. It was choice grade meat at prices cheaper than my Costco in San Antonio. They will give you a 60 day membership for free. I can't specifically speak to their briskets.
    In preparation for these holiday cooks I scoured the Internet looking for a good butcher in the area and didn't find anything that seemed like a better option.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    There is a really nice meat shop / butcher in Winter Park, but they're $$$.  I've browsed, but not bought anything there.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Walmart super stores near us have Packer briskets for a very good price.  Also, if you have a restaurant depot near you they probably have them. The depot requires that you are buying for a restaurant or similar, but you can also get a day pass if you are a member of the Kansas City BBQ Society.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options

If you have very deep pockets and want to hit one out of the park, start with the brisket from here-

http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/competitive-bbq-collection/  and read this post-

:)>-

Once you abandon that course of action, then the above recommendations are good.  BTW-I have occasionally seen packers at Gordon Food Service (GFS) stores. Good luck!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    edited January 2014
    Options
    If you have a Restaurant Depot and are a KCBS member or know one. They have full packer briskets for a good price. Sams Club also has them, but the last 3 or 4 I got there weren't very good (very wide grain).

Like Lousubcap said if you have deep pockets SRF is the way to go. Maybe not for a first, but everyone shouldbtry one at least once. I have done very well cooking SRF Waygu in competitions, several top 5 finishes.
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    Check Publix. If they don't have one they will get you one.