Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can I Stain My Pine BGE Table This Week?

Hi, everyone:

This is my first post on the forum, but I have already learned so much from reading all of your insights - thanks!

I just purchased a BGE wooden table made of pressure treated pine lumber. I live in Atlanta.

I'm eager to get the Egg set up and smoking this weekend, but I'd like to stain the table. I've seen varying opinions about this on the forum and elsewhere. Some say I can go ahead and stain, some say to wait six months.

What do y'all think? Should I go ahead and set the egg up and stain when the lumber is completely dry and the weather is warmer? Or should I stain before assembling egg?

Thanks for your help, and happy egging.
Daniel
Smyrna, GA | LBGE owner since Jan. 2014

Comments

• Dawgs8033
    Dawgs8033 Posts: 113
    I would stain in a few months just clean it and sand it before you do. You definatly want to let that would dry completly out the stuff the treat the wood with will eat it up.
    LGBE, SBGE,Blackstone,Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe.
  • I guess that means I can get my egg fired up sooner than I thought. Thanks for the good news!
    Daniel
  • Thanks again for the help, Dawgs. I got her set up tonight and looking forward to my first cook tomorrow! I think I'm going to try some spatchcock chicken if all goes as planned.
    Daniel
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    They make stain that can go on pt lumber immediately. ..might be to cold. Try to keep from getting heavy grease on it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Remember that stain is only part of the protection.  It only colors the wood.  You should also brush a quality exterior polyurethane or varnish over the stain.  If possible, do both sides of the table with the stain and the poly.  This will prevent warping of the wood as it will balance the moisture loss/gain from all sides.  If only one side is done, the moisture loss or gain will not be equal and this will cause issues.  Plan on taking a week to do the job right. 

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Will do. The stain I found at Home Depot said 40 degrees as a minimum - it's 28 in Atlanta tonight and likely going down this weekend.

QDude - would you recommend doing the stain and urethane in six months as well?
    Daniel
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    dgroce10 said:
    Will do. The stain I found at Home Depot said 40 degrees as a minimum - it's 28 in Atlanta tonight and likely going down this weekend.

QDude - would you recommend doing the stain and urethane in six months as well?
    I would wait until the wood is thoroughly dry.  This is the type of project that you only want to do every now and then.  Rush it and you won't be happy with the results.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.