Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a good vinegar based BBQ sauce

Options
Looking for a good Carolina , vinegar base sauce...Send your best recipes..Thanks , happy smoking
Tim Rickman,Tn.

Comments

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Buy a jar of Blues Hog Tennessee Red.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    edited January 2014
    Options
    have you tried elderward's?  it's over on the naked wiz site under the pulled pork recipe.  I use it all the time, it's really good.  Thin and watery like vinegar based sauces should be.  I use it right after pulling the pork and when reheating.   Love the avatar by the way.  Go Vols!
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595
    Options

This is from Elder Ward's post which I got from nakedwhiz.com:

The Traditional North Carolina Sauce (A) I grew up with.

This would be from my mothers side of the family who are a bunch of flatlanders near the coast.  We only came down out of the hills to see them just enough to keep the peace in the family and my mother from running back home for good.  She hated the mountains.  We all loved her folks.

1 C white vinegar

1 C cider vinegar

1 Tbs. sugar (Hawaii style when you can)

1 Tbs. cayenne pepper (fresh ones split 2 of em instead soak 2 days or more is best)

1 Tbs. Tabasco sauce

1 tsp. kosher salt

1 tsp. cracked black pepper

Makes 2 Cups

Place in a bottle with small neck that will allow you to shake it out a little at a time.

In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    GQuiz said:

That is my suggestion
  • jls9595
    Options
    GQuiz said:

That is my suggestion
    I have had that too and it's good.  It has more color and it is a little thicker than the one I posted. ElderWard's is brownish/clear, very watery fyi but has great flavor and some kick
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Do you want eastern mop sauce or western(Lexington) sauce? The Tennessee Red has ketchup so would never be welcome in my family's house. REAL Carolina sauce(eastern) is like the elder ward recipe above. You can use 2 cups of vinegar as a base and then adjust the rest to your taste.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Prolly not the best place to buy this, but I love this stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DGI8JMY

See, Mickey agrees...I can't be wrong.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This is outstanding to me. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bucketoftruth
    Options
    Being from Texas you can't trust my opinion, but Dreamland sauce from Alabama is my favorite vinegar base.

Dallas Texas

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Wicker's. ..great stuff. @GoVols. . Where are you located? Good to see another Tennessee fan.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    I like Scotts. Found at Food Lion. From next door in N. C. Very good, and I can add cayenne powder to it to make Hot Wing sauce.
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    +1 on elder ward recipe above--easy and good.  I use it regularly for my go to NC style sauce.  Keep some in fridge in a squirt bottle.
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Been wanting to make the Elder Ward recipe for awhile now too.. 
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Carolina Style Sauce
    Ingredients1 cup yellow mustard
    ½ - ¾ cup brown sugar depending on taste
    ¼ - ½ cup cider vinegar depending on taste
    ¼ - ½ cup water depending on taste
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon white pepper
    ¼ teaspoon cayenne
    ½ teaspoon soy sauce
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon liquid smoke

DirectionsMix all ingredients except soy, butter and smoke. 
    Simmer on low for 30 minutes.
    Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes, adding more vinegar or water if necessary
    Dunedin, FL
  • GQuiz
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Prolly not the best place to buy this, but I love this stuff. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DGI8JMY See, Mickey agrees...I can't be wrong.

I walk past it at HEB... that good?

• Mickey
    edited January 2014
    Options
    GQuiz said:
    cazzy said:
    Prolly not the best place to buy this, but I love this stuff. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DGI8JMY See, Mickey agrees...I can't be wrong.

I walk past it at HEB... that good?
    Make you a bet. You get it and used it. If not good I will give you your money back. HEB has all three. I love the stuff. Here is using on Turkey Legs off the Mini.
    photophoto_zps5ade607c.jpg photo photo_zpsa2701078.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GQuiz
    Options
    Then I have to try it. Other than pulled pork (SWMBO put that dish on hiatus for a while), what should I make to test this sauce? Suggestions openly and warmly welcomed.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    GQuiz said:
    Then I have to try it. Other than pulled pork (SWMBO put that dish on hiatus for a while), what should I make to test this sauce? Suggestions openly and warmly welcomed.
    chicken
  • Mickey
    Options
    GQuiz said:
    Cook me lots of Turkey legs (wife not big on them). Or good on spatchcocked chicken or turkey. Pulled Pork is outstanding. Also good on beef.

• GQuiz
    Options
    Leaning toward chicken... Thanks @eggcelsior. I'm coming back through New Braunfels tomorrow so I get to stop at Granzin's, my favorite meat market in the world. Sounds like a dandy opportunity to try @Mickey's challenge.

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Here's simplicity ;-
    boil together cider vinegar, crushed red pepper flakes and brown sugar, mustard powder if you wish but not necessary. You can decide the ratios.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Loosemoose
    Options
    jls9595 said:

This is from Elder Ward's post which I got from nakedwhiz.com:

The Traditional North Carolina Sauce (A) I grew up with.

This would be from my mothers side of the family who are a
    bunch of flatlanders near the coast.  We
    only came down out of the hills to see them just enough to keep the peace in
    the family and my mother from running back home for good.  She hated the mountains.  We all loved her folks.

1 C white vinegar

1 C cider vinegar

1 Tbs. sugar (Hawaii style when you can)

1 Tbs. cayenne pepper (fresh ones split 2 of em instead soak
    2 days or more is best)

1 Tbs. Tabasco sauce

1 tsp. kosher salt

1 tsp. cracked black pepper

Makes 2 Cups

Place in a bottle with small neck that will allow you to
    shake it out a little at a time.

I just made this BBQ sauce and had it with pulled chicken. This is by far my favorite BBQ sauce to date!
    Thanks for sharing jls9595
    Nowhere Indiana
  • jls9595
    edited January 2014
    Options
    @Loosemoose awesome! glad you like it.  Its my favorite for pork, I haven't even thought of putting it on chicken but I'm going to now.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • DaveRichardson
    Options

I've got a red wine vinegar sauce if you want to try it!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Derrick300
    Options
    I've been using Prossers for about 4 years and everyone who tries my pork loves it.
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    @jls9595‌ +1 on the elder ward vinegar recipe. I've used it a few times as another option over regular bbq sauces and people love it
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    I just mixed up some Elder Ward Sauce and it tasted like vinegar and cayenne pepper to me. I thought 1 tablespoon of cayenne sounded like a lot. Did I miss something here? I've been trying to doctor it up to make it edible. What did I do wrong?
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)