Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temp question

Options
I'm attempting my second cook and I'm having trouble getting the temp to 350-375 indirect heat. How open roughly should the top and bottom be open. I had it to 350-375 before adding wings and now can only get 310. Thanks again.
Large Egg, Warner Robins,Ga

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    If you had it where you wanted it and stable for a bit before you put the wings on; just be patient grasshopper... it will eventually return there once it overcomes the cold of the wings you just put on...

Don't start chasing temps, leads to a lot of head scratching
  • Timbo66
    Timbo66 Posts: 109
    Options
    My head is about raw now. Lol thanks hapster
  • vchelf
    vchelf Posts: 95
    Options
    If you open the top and bottom all the way, you can then start to dial it back in.  Any chance the fire grate holes are plugged up and you are not getting enough air to the coals?  What are you cooking Are you using a water pan? 
    Victor Chelf
    Houston, TX

Just one Large BGE
    Visit my Victor's Vittles blog - dedicated to my Big Green Eggventures

• Timbo66
    Options
    I'm cooking wings and jalapenos. I vacuumed out everything before I started. No water pan.
  • Timbo66
    Options
    I am using the plate setter also.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    +1 on patience. Next question was 350-375* with the PS in place?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Timbo66
    Options
    Yes it was. Then I added wings and poppers it dropped down to 310 it took about 20 min to get to 350. When i was done it was right at the 375*. Thanks for all your help.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Took me awhile to learn to ignore temp for at least 30 minutes after opening the lid and changing things around or adding something. As long as the temp was stable prior and your vent setting didn't move, it will come back. It also took me awhile to figure out how to align the top so it wouldn't swing open every time I opened the lid...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    The egg is designed to slowly get back to temp increasing alcohol consumption time. Take advantage.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Timbo66
    Options
    Amen to that henapple!!!
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Same as Hapster said. If it was 350 before, it'll get there again. You have direct heat flowing to the thermo indirect. When you add the platesetter, 1) that large puece of ceramic is blocking direct heat, deflecting it around the edges, and 2). The ceramic plate setter takes a while to take on the heatand get up to temp, thus cooling the egg off temporarily. For me, 375 indirect is about 2.5-3" open at the bottom vent with the daisy wheel completely off. If you want to speed it up, open gently, and when you 're 30-40 degrees below your target temp, dial it back. Keep in mind, it's always easier to get hotter than it is to cool off. That thing holds heat like you wouldn't believe. Happy Egging!
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Timbo66
    Options
    Thank you for that info.